Using Raspistill command - Taking video stills

I am trying to take some video stills

I have tried using a simple function call "raspistill -o test.jpg’’

I get the following

mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component ‘vc.ril.camera’ (1)
mmal: Failed to create camera component
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Camera is not detected. Please check carefully the camera module is installed correctly

I have a low light camera on the sub which I have tried this on.

For further testing I used the usb-rPi camera on a RPi3 and the older rPi2.
All with the same error message.

It would appear that it may be a rPi issue as I found stuff about it on their forum. No solution however.

Is there any other route I can use to take high res images from the camera on the sub. I am not after video frames as I want to process using computer vision

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the post. The raspistill command will only work with the Raspberry Pi Camera and won’t work with the Low Light HD USB Camera. The error message shown indicates that it can’t find a Raspberry Pi Camera attached.

I’m not sure how to capture stills from the camera but @jwalser may be able to help with that. Are you trying to do this while streaming video as well? Note that the Low Light HD USB Camera’s resolution is about 1080p, so the resolution will not be higher from a still image than from the video.

-Rusty

Thanks

I was told i can do this with opencv in python

I will see what it can produce otherwise i will put thr rpi camera back if
it gets higher resolution