Uninterruptable power supply with Navigator

Hi All,

I am looking to integrate the PiJuice Hat uninterruptable power supply into our ROV running the Rpi + Navigator.

I am having issues getting the autopilot software to run when the UPS hat is attached. Looking at the autopilot process it is outputting ‘runtimerror: Cannot fetch vehicle info as there’s not board running’

I am unsure how the hat would be causing this as it only connects to the power and GPIO 2 & 3 on the i2c lines.

I am wondering if anyone has seen similar issues with a UPS or has any guidance on what might be causing this issue.

Cheers,

Lewis

Hi @Lewis_Miles,

The Navigator uses GPIO pins 2 and 3 as the internal I2C-1 line for some of its sensors, so it’s possible there’s an access conflict between the autopilot and the UPS functionality, and/or an address conflict with one of the sensors.

There may also be a conflict between the Navigator and PiJuice boards’ EEPROMs, and/or the hardware (device tree) overlays they define.

Hi @Lewis_Miles,

Could you please provide the following informations?

Are you running BlueOS?
Have you tried running the system without the PiJuice HAT? If so, does it work fine?

If it does, it seems like the issue might be related to an overlay setup made in your PiJuice EEPROM. Apparently, you can disable or remap it.

First, I would suggest installing the i2c-tools and checking if the navigator I2C devices are functioning correctly. Please run the following commands:

pi@blueos:~ $ sudo apt-get install i2c-tools
pi@blueos:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
00: -- -- -- -- 0C -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 48 -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- 76 --
pi@blueos:~ $ i2cdetect -y 4
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --