Underwater motors rated to 100m

Hi everyone!

I am trying to design and attach a pan tilt system to the BlueROV2. I am struggling finding any type of (small) motors that are waterproof and rated to 100m. Has anyone had any luck?

The only one I found is below, but I’m looking for multiple options. :slight_smile:
[https://www.bluetrailengineering.com/product-page/depth-rated-servo-ser-120x]

Would it be possible to try and modify the BlueRobotics T200 thrusters for this application too? Not sure if anyone has tried this yet.

Thank you!

Pan and tilt for what? Have you considered using standard components and having them inside a waterproof enclosure?

This is what I use on my new ROV design: Rovmaker-Underwater-Servo-34kg-cm-Digital

Its good for 250m. It only provides 120deg tilt but the manufacturer is working on a new design that will allow a greater range.

You may consider using one of these

They are waterproof, but not pressure resistant. To make it pressure resistant you can install a 4mm hose nipple through the wall and connect a 15cm hose to the nipple. Fill the entire servo and hose with oil and cap the hose end. Coil the hose. Now you have a pressure compensated servo.

Thanks, I will take a look! Unfortunately I am looking for 360deg, but I will still consider.

Looking on the website, it specifies the servos are only waterproof up to 1 meter for 30 minutes… I was hoping to go a little deeper and for a longer duration. This hasn’t been a problem for you though? It seems like most servos out there are only tested to this spec

It’s for a research project! I would really prefer not building a waterproof enclosure to attach, but I would consider it if no other option makes sense.

Cool! I was trying to ask what it is that you want to pan and tilt :slight_smile:

For example, if it’s for a small camera you might be able to use something like the 2" locking tube that bluerobotics sells, with a complete enclosure for ~$100, and combining that with a ~$10micro servo and perhaps something similar for your panning would bring you in at about 1/4 of the price of just the single motor that you’ve got at the moment. If you’re trying to move something that has to be outside any enclosure (e.g. if it has to interact with the outside) then it’s a different story and a bit trickier.

You will off course have to compensate them. Drill a small hole in the chassis, insert a small hose nipple.
Install a 150, long hose on the nipple. Fill the entire servo with vegetable oil, including the hose. Make sure to get all the air out of the system. Blind off the hose end. Now you can dive as deep as you want for as long as you want.