Software Updates - September 14 2017

New software updates for each software component used to operate the BlueROV2 have just been released. This is our second big software update, and this time it can be performed without opening the electronics enclosure!

Notable changes in this update are:

• Ability to display camera tilt angle, lights level, tether turns and more in QGC
  • GPS input support in companion, including support for the Water Linked Underwater GPS Developer Kit
  • Fewer default pre-arm checks
  • Acceptable compass calibration threshold has been relaxed
  • Pilot input failsafe timeout increased from 1 second to 3 seconds (‘Lost manual control’ message)
  • Gyro calibration is disabled at boot by default
  • Support for the Bar100 pressure sensor
  • Companion login is changed to:
    user: pi
    password: companion
  • Allow selecting a custom image to display in the QGC ui in place of the ‘ArduSub’ logo
  • Many other various bugfixes, feature additions, and improvements, reference the release notes below for a comprehensive list of changes

To update each software component, follow these directions:

QGC

Release notes

Download and install the new version of QGC (BlueRobotics flavor):

Windows
Mac
Linux

I would like to take this opportunity to make an announcement for anyone who may not be aware:

Please note that QGroundControl is a software project targeted at all types of unmanned vehicles. BlueRobotics has compiled a revision that we recommend for use with the BlueROV2 and ArduSub. All of the links to QGC installers on our website go to our revision of QGC, which is not the same as the mainline ‘upstream’ version of QGC that will appear first in a web search. The upstream stable version is ‘v3.2.4’. Our revision is built on top of that and is called ‘v3.2.4-BlueRobotics-Rev1’.

Companion

Release notes

• Plug a fully charged battery into the ROV and connect the tether to your computer.
  • Navigate to 192.168.2.2:2770 in your browser and ensure that the ROV has access to a WiFi network. If you do not see a webpage at this address, you need to perform the update according to the instructions here.
  • Navigate to 192.168.2.2:2770/system. Click the button that says ‘Update companion’.
  • The update process will take between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the Internet connection speed. Wait for the update process to complete. When it completes, the browser will refresh.
  • The companion version should now be 0.0.10.
  • If the update fails (usually due to a loss of internet connectivity), you will be warned that the ROV will reboot and to leave the battery plugged in. At this point, once you are able to refresh the webpage, it is safe to either power down the ROV or attempt the update again.

ArduSub

Release notes

• Navigate to 192.168.2.2:2770/system. Click the button under the ‘Pixhawk Firmware Update’ section that says ‘Stable’.
  • Wait for the update process to complete, and you are finished!

To view the newly available telemetry information, click the small gear icon next to the compass, and select the values you would like to display.

To select a custom image for display in the toolbar, click the ‘Q’ icon and scroll down to the bottom of the General Settings tab. You may select separate images for the indoor/outdoor themes, or choose the ‘Link Brand Images’ option to use the same image for both themes.

The video save location setting has changed. Now, all files saved by QGC will go into a ‘QGroundControl’ folder. The default location of this folder is the user’s ‘Documents’ folder. The location can be changed under the ‘Miscellaneous’ section of the General Settings tab. Also note, that old videos that remain in that folder will be automatically deleted in order to make more space for newer videos according to the ‘Max Storage Usage’ setting. You should make sure to move your videos out of this folder, or increase the ‘Max Storage Setting’ to your liking. (I set mine to 30000 Megabytes, the default is 2048).

3 Likes

Really nice, Thanks!

I had trouble with updating Companion (Pi) via Webinterface in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
When going to update page it did not even show present software version.
Changed to Chrome browser and Everything worked smoth.

If You like me use a Router in the network, and have internet by Cable, the Companion can get update that way, without Wifi use. Beware in router DHCP to set the right fixed IP adress for Companion (192.168.2.2)
In the Wifi page You will then see “WIfi status” Red but “Internet Connection” in Green

When I open Firmware Setup in QGC, nothing happens. How do I update the software in Pixhawk?

@Mikxie QGC can only update firmware when the autopilot is connected directly via usb.

To update the autopilot through the tether, please follow the ‘ArduSub’ directions at the bottom of the update post.

When I follow the link, IE does not find anything.

Is it maybe trying online in stead of locally?

Is the ROV powered on and connected to the computer? Can you try using Firefox or Chrome?

ROV is on, QGC works, no acces via IE or Chrome or Safari

Have you performed the previous update? If not, you will need to follow these instructions to update.

Will try that… Thought we had the new software…

When did you purchase your ROV?

About June, not sure exactly when :slight_smile:

Followed the instructions, now it works, thank you Jacob

I have a question about the companion update.
Since I am building now my BlueROV2, I have access to the Raspberry Pi. So, I can pull out the micro SD card. I do not think that I have to download again the “ardusub-raspbian.img.zip”. I have done this previously (in July 2017). Is there any difference between these versions? Perhaps, I can plug in to the Raspberry Pi a USB keyboard and a mouse, connect it with a monitor, an ethernet cable for internet connection and perform an update (e.g. “sudo apt-get update” and then “sudo apt-get dist-update”). Will it work and update the companion version to 0.0.10? Which way do I have to follow to “Update Companion” safely. Till now all the electronics are working and communicate with ArsuSub. Thanks in advance.

Hi Chaps

I updated this afternoon, it went fine thank you and works well. Thank you very much.

A dum question coming up, how do you change the colour of the instrument panel to white?

Thanks

Julian

Hi Julian!
Under settings (Q sign) upper left, Application settings:
General, Miscellaneous, change Dropdownbox “Colour Scheme” from “Indoor” to “Outdoor”

@gminos This is a newer update from the one posted in June/July. The best way to do the update is according to the instructions here. There is no need to get a monitor and a keyboard from the Pi, just connect the ROV to your computer normally and follow the directions to update using a web browser.

I have to ask the stupid questions (again).
The “howto” update the system tells me how to update it, but it doesn’t tell me what I need to update -Companion - Ardusub…QGC I know :slight_smile: Am I suppose to install / update all three or are we talking about different systems here ?

@SDI They can all be updated independently of each other, but it is recommended to do all of them for the best experience.