Home        Store        Learn        Blog

Scratch Built 3d Printed BlueROV

Hello All.

Us Scot’s are renowned for knowing the true value of money and after purchasing 3 x BlueROV’s for my work in the North Sea oil & gas sector, I decided that it was about time that I built a ROV of my own.
I’m luck enough to own 2 x 3d printers so, thanks to the freely available CAD and STL files I have taken the plunge and I am well on the way to building a scratch built BlueROV.

The first items that I printed were the electronics tray and mount for the servo/camera. I purchased all of the components individually that are required for the electronics housing and I have a fully working setup for the grand total of £211 GBP. Instead of using a set of Fathom -X boards to handle the ethernet comms, I cut up a pair of ethernet over mains electricity adapters and thanks to a guide showing a suitable setup for the OpenROV, I was able to establish surface - subsea comms over a 100m long ethernet cable effortlessly.

I will continue to use this post to document my progress and I will be happy to assist anyone else that may be thinking of going it alone and building a system from scratch.
For anyone that is concerned about using 3d printed parts at depth - don’t be! We have been using 3d printed parts subsea regularly at depths of up to -150m for years with no failures to date. All parts are printed in PLA+ with 100% infill.

Electronics Tray
Electronics-Tray
Rear Frame Part
Rear-Frame-Part2
Rear-Frame-Part1

4 Likes

Hi! Just out of curiosity - what wall thickness you use? Have you tried different materials? I’m considering switching from PLA to CarbonX / CarbonP (PETG with carbon fibers) for durability and water resistance, do you have any opinion on it?

Welcome to the forum. We have been using PLA for about 3 years now. 40% fill but with an epoxy coating. Works fine!

Interesting. Thank you Terry!

Some further progress.

1 Like

Looking good :grin: