ROV Not Moving and not controllable

Hi Guys

I am having issue with my BlueROV2, when trying to moving it with a joystick weird stuff happens. For instances when pushing the joystick forward to move forward the bottom pair of thrusters push water in opposite direction, so the ROV does not move. The controls in some of the DOF is also reversed. When we try to dive or surface, the ROV rolls instead. We have insured that the wiring is the same as the documentation and also ensured that the CCW and CW motors are in the correct positions.

A better explanation:

• When trying to move forward, thrusters 3 and 4 spin CCW, Thruster 1 and 2 spin CW
  • When trying to move backwards, thrusters 3 and 4 spin CW, thruster 1 and 3 spin CCW
  • When Trying to ascend, thruster 5 spins CW and thruster 6 spins CW
  • When Trying to descend, thruster 5 spins CCW and thruster 6 spinds CCW

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Shreyash

Check in your parameters tab under MOT. The thrusters that you reversed the props on need to be set at reverse in MOT. Click on the thruster in the file and change normal to reverse.

2 Likes

@Abyss,
Did you perform the following:
Did you change the propellers on Thrusters 1, 2, and 5 to CCW propellers per the BlueROV2 Kit Assembly instructions?
If so, did you then run the Thrusters briefly in open air to ensure that the Thrusters were turning in the correct direction in relation to the joystick direction? According to the BlueROV2 Software Setup directions you should have done the following:

1. Set the flight mode to “Manual”.
  2. Arm the BlueROV2 by pressing “Start”
  3. Move the left joystick forwards and verify that the thrusters are running the correct way. Air should be blowing out of the four vectored thrusters towards the back of the vehicle. If one of the thrusters is blowing air towards the front, go to Settings in QGroundContorl, then go to Parameters and select MOT. Select the motor that is blowing air towards the front and switch the motor direction using the dropdown on the right.
  4. Move the right joystick forwards and verify that the thrusters are running the correct way. Air should be blowing out of the two vertical thrusters towards the bottom of the vehicle. If one of the thrusters is blowing air towards the top, go to Settings in QGroundControl, then go to Parameters and select MOT. Select the motor that is blowing air towards the top and switch the motor direction using the dropdown on the right.

If your Thrusters do not perform as specified in either Steps 3 or 4, then make the necessary motor direction changes per the instructions in Steps 3 or 4.

Steps 3 and 4 assume that you changed the propellers to CCW on Thrusters 1, 2, and 5.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

As noted check the props are the proper ones and that motor rotation is correct for each motor. We ran into similar issues but had 2 motors reversed.

1 Like

@Abyss - I think this will be fixed right away if you set the directions of the motors. Here are instructions on how to do that: BlueROV2 Software Setup

1 Like

Hi TCII

Thanks for your reply, I have correctly wired and made sure that the correct props have been turned CCW. I think I may have had a confusion with the calibration of the controls, which may have caused me to initially flip the wrong motors.
Going to try it out tomorrow and see what happens.

Regards
Abyss

Hi Rusty

We reversed the motors and all the movement seems fine, except the strafe. When we command to strafe to the left the ROV moves to the right and vice versa.

Regards
Abyss

@Abyss
When you move a joystick UP or to the RIGHT, the sliders in the Joystick page marked pitch, roll, etc. should move to the right. Can you confirm this behavior? If this is not what you see you need to recalibrate the joystick, move the left-hand stick when the picture shows the right-hand stick moving, and move the right-hand stick when the picture shows the left-hand stick moving. The directions that you move the joystick during calibration should still be interpreted literally.

If the sliders in the Joystick page all move to the right when you move joysticks up, or to the right, then please verify that all four horizontal thrusters are pushing in the correct direction when you give it a yaw command.

-Jacob

@jwalser,
When you said “four vertical thrusters” didn’t you mean “horizontal”?
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Yes, thank you. I’ve edited the original post.