Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Recording camera to local pi computer SD Card

(Doug) #1

Is it possible to record the video to an SD Card on Pi computer. Desire is to use as drop camera recording video without tether / live streaming to Ground Control Computer?

(Willian Galvani) #2

This is possible, but not trivial to get right. you can change the gstreamer pipeline to add a filesink. It should look like something like this:

! h264parse 
 ! queue 
 ! "video/x-h264, format=byte-stream" 
 ! filesink location=/home/pi/test.h264

This way it will always write to the same file, overwriting it. And this may not be playable in every player.

There is also this alternative, which packs the video into an mp4 container:

! h264parse 
 ! queue
 ! mp4mux ! filesink location=/home/pi/test.mp4

Let me know if this works for you.

(Doug) #3

Thanks for the quick reply at least confirming it can be done assuming one with skill required to modify code can help me on this if we go down this road. Differnt options for drop cameras are being investigated so this will be added for consideration. One other quick question. Is there a limit to the capacity of SD card we can use in the pi computer?

(Willian Galvani) #4

You can take a look here. Some 128gb sd cards seem to work.

But I would just add an external USB flash drive instead. This is also a more practical way to get the video later.

(Doug) #5

Yes much easier to rerieve USB drive. Thanks again.

(Patrick José Pereira) #6

Hi Doug,

Just pointing to take a look in the tee gstreamer plugin, that will allow you to split data to multiple pads, like in your case, saving the video to a file while streaming via UDP.