Ping Viewer Defaults

Hi, is there any way of starting ping viewer and specifying defaults on the command line - ie skipping the device manager screen and proceeding automatically to the display page, whilst loading defaults, for instance range and angular display. The goal is to have the application start with the device it’s running on, and move to the correct display parameters immediately without needing to press any keys (or without a keyboard being present).

thanks
John

Hi,

It’s only possible to connect right now from the command line, this is available from our last test build t2.0.5 and in our master branch, you can check for more information with --help argument.

thanks, the command line is perfect as I’m using Linux, but can you describe the format of the connection string, or indicate where I can find this please, specifying -c /dev/ttyUSB0 causes the debug output to indicate sensor type not provided.

Also, can you point me to the place in the source where the defaults are specified, or how to save them please, in Ping Viewer.conf, I see this: lastLinkConfigurations=@Invalid()
is there documentation as to the options that can be specified here, to achieve an automated startup with a given configuration.

I also notice that the 360 degree view uses all the screen, with the menu options appearing on the left, on the 180 degree views, the menu options occupy the top area of the whole screen, forcing the “radar” down the page and making it smaller. is this intentional? on a small screen, this is a pain.

many thanks for your help, There is a fantastic potential with both the device and the software.
John

Yes, you need to specify the sensor to connect, like this: Ping360:2:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 or Ping1D:2:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200 (where 2: is serial and 3: is UDP connection ), where the last argument is the baud rate.
This command lines are not intended to be used by users since it’s a development tool and still pretty simple.

Just reset the settings and check the configuration file, this will be the default settings.
You can check our default settings in the source code:

Please share a screenshot and your screen size.

Thanks for the defaults, that’s helpful. The connection string causes the software to move to the radar view immediately, but unlike the graphical selector, doesn’t show any data, or seem to be able to communicate with the device. If I select manually, it works.Does the device need to be actually under water for the command line connect to work? unlike the dialog box, which detects the device correctly? I also can’t feel the sonar rotating, which I can when selecting the device.

I’m using the following: ./pingviewer -c Ping360:/dev/ttyUSB0:115200

Screen shot’s attached. The effect is the same on the high resolution screen shown, and also on much smaller screens. The 60, 90 and 360 degree angles take up the whole height, the 120 and 180 get moved down as shown.

thanks John

I’m also struggling to get the application to run on very small screens, 800x480 and 480x320. The objective is to produce a raspberry Pi, with a small screen, connected to the Ping360, that can be viewed underwater in poor visibility.

It seems that rather than scaling correctly at low resolutions, there is a minimum size configured. are the minimums in the source? I can’t see them obviously in the source - or is this a QT thing?

thanks
John

Hi,

Yes, that’s my fault, the command line is still work in progress and the main objective is to help us with software development test, the command line arguments changed with our last releases, you can check my edited comment with the correct string:

There is a 10% margin in the left and right side of the sector view, this is a safe distance for the distance text in the right.

You can modify this percentage in this line:

Changing from 0.8 to 0.9 or any higher value.

There is no such thing in the code, I did a simple test with the application running in a 350x250 window here:

Which version of ping-viewer are you compiling ? I would suggest to build the master branch.