Ping echosounder reading on overlay software

Hi,

I wand to get the altitude reading from the ping echosounder on my overlay software (OV-REC from @etienne of Delta Rov). What is the easiest way to send this data to a UDP port from Ardusub or ping-viewer?

Thank you in advance

Steven

2 Likes

We need @jwalser to amend his Depth output module to add the altitude reading using the ping python myPing.get_distance()

It’s a shame I am not python litterate, else I would do it.

Ok we will try to do it then, should it work I will send it to you.

1 Like

The altimeter data is not (at the moment) in the mavlink telemetry stream.

The python library is here: GitHub - bluerobotics/ping-python: Python scripts and examples for the Ping sonar.

This program is used to send the data to pingviewer: ping-python/pingproxy.py at master · bluerobotics/ping-python · GitHub

To get the altimeter into the mavlink stream, you will have to write a program to send DISTANCE_SENSOR messages to the autopilot via mavproxy. This can be accomplished by commenting this line and rebooting the raspberry pi: companion/.companion.rc at master · bluerobotics/companion · GitHub

The line is currently commented because the ROV will attempt to use the rangefinder for altitude control, and that is not stable.

1 Like

OK thank you, I might wait for the integration of the altimeter data into mavlink as there is no hurry for now.

As said by Etienne, for professionnal applications it would be great to have a simpler option than the python code to output any data from the ROV to a third party software as QGC does not allow overlay.

I’ll figure something out. I have a few ideas.

fyi update current state of things: Add telemetry overlay to saved video · Issue #7286 · mavlink/qgroundcontrol · GitHub

2 Likes