My tether spool

Nice work there @piercet

wondering if you have the printable STL models, seems like you have a 3D printer too.

I do indeed. I even put them online for free so others can print their own.
Here are the files for the larger one 3d printed cable roller and waterproof control box for a Schill GT380 reel to turn it into a ROV or robot tether by piercet - Thingiverse

And here is the smaller variant Waterproof ROV Tether control box and reel cable management additions for use with an ROV by piercet - Thingiverse

I also have intake guards, cable splice molds, and skeg fins, as well as a whole ROV in there if you like.

1 Like

Hey @piercet

Very interesting man thanks for sharing!

Anyone know the MINUMIM diameter we can achieve and maintain cable integrity?
I looked at garden hose reels and noticed the inner hub is about 6 inch diameter.
I have 200m of cable to transport.
any suggestions?
thanks everyone!

Hi Doyle, the minimum bend diameter is published at 8" but I think you’d be fine at 6" as well. See all the details here: Fathom Tether

Got my GT380 last week. I’ve been reading though your instructions and the only thing that causes me to pause is the spindle rod.

Wow, this thing is thick. Did you drill this out with an electric hand drill? I’m wondering if it could be replaced with a hollow stainless steel rod.

Yes, 1/4 inch carbide bit with a 24v hand drill. The steel is softer than it looks, so there is that anyways. I did have to drill from both sides. It was a bit of work but it only took 15 minutes or so.

A stainless thick wall tube might work, bit I’m not sure how the housing is constructed. There may be ridges inside. I felt it was safer to just drill it.

1 Like

This is the same drum with 100m tether. It will easy take 50-80m more. I consider to test with another 80m.

1 Like

Hola cómo estás me podrías fabricar uno y enviármelo a chile
Saludos y gracias por compartir

Hola. No hablo español, así que tuve que escribir esto en Google Translate, mis disculpas por cualquier error. La respuesta rápida es tal vez. Dependería de algunas cosas. Tendría mucha confianza en fabricar la caja y los componentes impresos en 3D, perforar el eje del carrete, montar la caja, etc. Pero estaría mucho menos seguro de vender mis servicios en cualquiera de las piezas eléctricas. Tengo la habilidad suficiente para comprar mis propios productos, pero no sé si estarás contento con mi trabajo. El otro problema es que habría un costo inicial importante. Tendría que comprar el carrete que es de alrededor de 350 con envío dependiendo del tamaño y otros componentes (y si usted quería que completara el extremo de la correa, el cable dependiendo de la longitud puede ser de 400- 600 en partes solamente (el Seacon) los conectores cuestan 70 por 2 piezas finales, por ejemplo). Si luego ensamblara todo y se lo enviara, estaríamos hablando de una cantidad considerable de tiempo y trabajo, necesitaría verificar todos los cables con el multímetro, etiquetar todo , compruebo si hay un buen sello hermético. Me tomó alrededor de 12 horas construir la mina, y otras 4 horas de tiempo de impresión. Podría construir una más rápido esta vez, pero me gustaría probar la tuya mucho más extensamente que la mía. generalmente cobro 35 por mi trabajo por hora, el tiempo de la impresora cobro 10, el envío me cobrará lo que sea la tasa real (que dado el peso del carrete completo sería caro) pero incluso con eso me preocuparía que posiblemente no ser feliz con el unidad completa, y esa es una inversión significativa en dinero. Así que, dicho todo esto, definitivamente puedo imprimir las piezas y enviárselas, pesa alrededor de 1,5 libras de plástico, por lo que unos 18 por el plástico, el otro hardware, piezas de conexión y rodamientos para la guía de salida es otros 50 (todos los precios son USD estimaciones) en hardware inoxidable. 1 hora de mano de obra y 4 horas de tiempo de impresión + cualquier envío sería. Si quisiera que se montara en el carrete, también necesitaría el costo del carrete por adelantado y otras 3 horas de mano de obra. Sería reacio a hacer la correa, pero podríamos discutir eso si está seguro de que quiere avanzar con eso. Para la mayoría de mis comisiones de impresora en 3D, suelo exigir el costo de las piezas por adelantado y luego el envío y la mano de obra se vencerán cuando envíe la información de seguimiento, pero para este probablemente también necesite algo de mano de obra por adelantado. Entonces, dados esos números, si eso es algo que quisieras seguir adelante, házmelo saber. También puede comunicarse conmigo a mi dirección de correo electrónico piercet@comcast.net si prefiere hablar de eso de manera privada. De cualquier manera, ¡gracias por su interés en el diseño!

Here is a link to the same drum with a 4-pole slipring preinstalled if you want it ready for use. https://www.schill.de/EN29032000000.html

1 Like

I wonder if those are available in the US?

Yes, you can get it here: http://www.schillreels.comhttp://www.schillreels.com/

Sendt fra E-posthttps://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986 for Windows 10

Thanks @SHS. I called the US rep for Schill and they don’t recommend using that particular model for data. Apparently the slip ring is made of brass and easily corrodes. They do make a data specific reel with 6 pole slip ring and gold contacts, but that costs just over $1,200.

Ok, it might bee worth drilling the hole then :blush: i just sold my Shill GT 380 drum with 100m tether and ordered a new empty Shill 380 and 200m tether. I plan to spool on what it takes, guess around 180m. Whatever is left can be used as a deck cable between the reel and the computer. i like the idea to keep te Fathom-x card close to the computer, even when i have it in a dry IP68 box.

Would Just like to share how the New Shill GT 380 looks with 200M tether on it. I Will most likely cut back two layers and Will than have 160m left. The other 40m can be used as a shallow water cable without a drum.

2 Likes

I like! Will you be adding a slipring?

Yes, slipring and connector to be Able to disconnect the “deckcable” from the drum.

Gracias

Hey nice, I like that spool!

I’ve made my own too using a garden hose spool after a fellow ROV’er told me about it. I’ve made another improvement adding a MikroTik mAP Lite to it which gives me a wireless connection, I’ve tested it and it was no noticeable latency between the wireless and cabled under water.

Does not look as sexy as it could. Buying the bigger spool would give me enough room to build it inside the reel with a waterproof box and a power connection on the slip ring instead and only need to apply battery.

But hey, it works ! :smiley:

2 Likes