Lights showing water ingress

Hi Team, i seem to see moisture on the inside of the lenses on the lights. Is there a certain procedure to open and service the lights? I have never opened the lights since installing them so feel that a seal may be failing and would like to solve the water ingress issue before i have a complete failure.
Thanks, Dougie

Hi @kaosrulz, in the docs you can read about the procedure for daisy-chaining the lights:

Obviously, checking o-rings and such is the same process, and pretty straightforward as which every Blue Robotics product. I’d recommend you check the cable. So far we’ve found that the cable is the part that is most prone to failure.

Thanks @roy will check cable n seal

We also had a couple of units that had small leaks - we found a tiny bit of dried glue residue on the rear o-ring, overspill from where they glue the board onto the rear plug.

Hi @richard-rickett and @kaosrulz, please contact support@bluerobotics.com if you have any issues with the lights leaking, and we can send you replacements.

Hi @jwalser
Thanks, but I found the hardened bits of glue on the o-ring when I was re-programming the lights, so fixed it before they got wet. Appreciate the offer though.
R

Back in July 2018, we have had some water ingress in all our Lumen R1 lights. The ROV was new, purchased assembled from the retailer (not sure if they did some dives themselves). We had only done two dives and one transport in a plane, maybe slightly bending the cable but nothing dramatic.

As shown in the picture below the cause of the flooding it obviously the clear potting that cracked around the cable but also against the rim of the penetrator. This occurred on almost all of the 7 penetrators of the 4-lights set.

The retailer replaced the set of lights with new lights (R2 version) which seems more robust with black potting and we are now happy with the product.

Could some over-heating, e.g when used in air, have contributed to the cracks in the old version of potting?

It might be worth, if not done already, making recommendation for regular inspection of this old-version potting before every dive?

Edit: The dive that caused the flooding was only 10m deep

Hi @Eloi,

Its possible that the overheating may have contributed to the delamination, but its more likely these particular potted penetrators on your lights were defective. Its good to hear you got all squared away with an updated set of replacements as you should have. This was an area we paid particular attention to in the R2 Lumen update, and made much more robust. This is not normal, and we do not expect this to happen commonly.

That said, its still generally a good idea to check all screws, penetrators, potting, and joints on any marine equipment before launch. This is a rule that encompasses all of not just our products, but other manufacturers as well, due to the nature of marine environments.

-Adam