Installing both ROS and BlueOS

Hi,

I want to use ROS to model the environment and path planning, it will communicate with pixhawk using MarvRos, and I also need BlueOS to integrated sensors in ROV, How can I use both system in Raspberry pi? Are they conflictedt to each other? By the way, it seems like both them need to communicate with QGC, is that available? I really confuse about these problems, expect to you reply, thank you!

Hi @Alex001

This depends on which version of ROS you are running, which Pi you have, whether or not you are comfortable building ROS from source, etc.

The key ROS documents are:

I would start with a Pi4 rather than a Pi3.

It may be possible to use ROS1 Noetic, which has arm32 binaries for Ubuntu 20.04. The general idea is to run Noetic on Ubuntu 20.04 inside a docker container on the standard BlueOS image. I have not tried this, but I can’t think of why it wouldn’t work.

A possible future option is to use ROS2 Humble, which has aarch64 binaries for Ubuntu 22.04. At the moment this is not possible because there is no aarch64 version of BlueOS. You can track progress on that here: core: ardupilot_manager: add support for aarch64 ardupilot binaries on aarch64 installs · Issue #1268 · bluerobotics/BlueOS-docker · GitHub

You can always build ROS from source, e.g., ROS2 Humble has Tier 3 support (i.e., it should build from source) on Debian Bullseye, so it should run on the current version of BlueOS. I have not tried this, but there are certainly folks who have.

/Clyde

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! You just mentioned " run Noetic on Ubuntu 20.04 inside a docker container on the standard BlueOS image", you means I should install a standard BlueOS image into my raspberry pi 4B, and construct a docker for unbuntu20.04 inside the BlueOS system? Sorry the relationship between Ubuntu and BlueOS really confused me…By the way, I find a BlueOS-Docker repository in the Github, what does it mean? Sorry I heard little about Docker before.

Hello,
Did anyone try the docker solution?
Were there any issues?

Best regards
G

Hi @houbabouba,

The extension should connect automatically with the vehicle and provide MAVROS data. You can also configure it as necessary to use a different ROS core, check the README for more information.

hey, have you figured out what the Docker repo is for? I’m looking to install BlueOS interface but have no clue on where to begin! I pasted a command into my terminal and it asked me for a password that was nowhere to be found.

The code for the Raspberry Pi is:
login : pi
password : raspberry
I know I read it somewhere but cannot pin point where.

To simply install the BlueOS follow the guide here.
It worked without for me.

2 Likes