Indicator depth ratings

Hi, I’m hoping to use an indicator light of yours in an instrument that has a max operating depth of 950 m (nominally 1000m, but since I’m also using your enclosures and endcaps, 950m will do). However, the depth rating states 300m, and “we’re still working to provide an official depth rating.” Is there any update here, or can you provide guidance? I know they’re just an LED-resistor pair, so I assume it’s the epoxy lens that’s the issue?

Thanks

How did the indicators work at 1000m?

We ended up opting against testing them, sadly. We went with an buzzer instead. :-/

Hi @pacific1875 / @bhurwitz,

I’m not sure if the indicator has been more extensively tested since the initial release, but I’ve asked the relevant engineers and will get back when I’ve got a response :slight_smile:

Update on this, there hasn’t yet been more extensive testing of the indicator, but we’re currently in the process of setting up a new pressure testing machine, and the indicator is now in the queue for testing for once that’s up and running :slight_smile:

Update from my end is that I put one into a 2-port aluminum endcap with a vent and used it to seal a 50mm x 150mm aluminum housing of yours and dropped it to 500m. Sadly, it leaked, and I’m pretty sure it was that because I sent the housing down with two blank endcaps without issue, and the same housing with a vent + a blank without issue. Not sure what leaked, and since I only have the one, I can’t really do any more extensive testing. It’d be nice if it was rated to 1000m like the housing though!

Thanks for all your hard work though - much nicer to not have to design my own pressure housings.

I’m clearing through some old tabs and came across this one.

We didn’t end up doing additional testing of the previous Indicator design, but we’ve since released a new revision that’s rated to 950m :slight_smile:

Excellent to hear, thank you!

1 Like