I2C Level Converter with Bar30 Pressure Sensor

Hey Jacob, from our output is seems that there is no signal coming from the pressure sensor. Have checked all cables with a multi-meter and all were fine.

Also tested the pressure sensor on our BlueROV2 and it works as expected.

Thanks!

Can you make sure that you have the most recent version of our library? You can tell by checking that the example program has these lines:

// Initialize pressure sensor
  // Returns true if initialization was successful
  // We can't continue with the rest of the program unless we can initialize the sensor
  while (!sensor.init()) {
    Serial.println("Init failed!");
    Serial.println("Are SDA/SCL connected correctly?");
    Serial.println("Blue Robotics Bar30: White=SDA, Green=SCL");
    Serial.println("\n\n\n");
    delay(5000);
}

Hi Owen,

It looks like your I2C level converter wasn’t quite completed by us during assembly! The “VCC” solder jumper should be set to 5V to pass power to the sensor, right now it is left open and no power is getting to the Bar30. This solder jumper selects the voltage used to power the sensor, and in the case of the Bar30 it is both 3.3V and 5V tolerant, and we recommend 5V. I apologize for the oversight!

-Adam

Hi
I recently purchased I2C Level Converter with Bar30 Pressure Sensor from your company and am using Arduino Uno. But, unfortunately, when I run/upload your Arduino code I get the following error:

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Pam

Pam,

It sounds like you might have the same issue that Owen had and that Adam addressed in the previous post. Can you verify that the solder jumper on your board is soldered to the 5v side? You can see the solder jumper in this diagram. In the diagram it is not soldered, but you should add solder to connect the middle pad to the left pad to provide 5v power to the sensor.

I hope that helps!

-Rusty

Hi,

I have solders the pads as instructed but still receiving the same error.
What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks!

Owen, can you let me know if you are using the most recent version of our library like I described above?

Yes, I am using the most recent library.

Hi Owen, Ok, Can you show me what kind of output you get running the example program? The output in your first post does not look like it using the most recent version. With the most recent version, I would expect it to give the same output in the post by @pam.

Otherwise, I know you said you checked the wires, but you should make sure that you have good continuity between the arduino and the logic converter by measuring continuity between the male header pins on the logic converter and the solder joints on the bottom of the arduino.

Did you solder those male pins to the logic converter, or are they just pushed through the holes?

Hi Jacob, this is the output I get wth the updated code

I have just double checked with the muitmeter and there is a connection between each header pin and its corresponding on the Arduino. Also did not soldered the pins yet.

Thanks again for your help.

Owen

Ok, I think you need to solder the pins into the board to be able to communicate with the sensor at all. The connections may be good enough to read continuous on the multimeter, but not good enough to allow the high-speed digital communications used with the sensor. In my experience, these sensors will require very solid connections, soldering when possible.

I’ve tried twisting wires together with no luck, and as soon as I soldered them, the sensor began communicating.

Hi Rusty,

I just Soldered two pads to gether as you said and then I got the results exactly the same as
@Owen in one of the earlier posts which is a meaningless and really high number as follow:

Please, let me know what the problem is.

Thanks,
Pam

@pam, did you upload a different sketch to the arduino? Like I was telling Owen, these numbers should only appear with an older version of the blue robotics library. The most recent version should print out an error message indicating that communication with the sensor failed. These bogus numbers indicate communication with the sensor failed, and that you are using an older version of the library. The most recent version of the library should contain these lines:

// Initialize pressure sensor
  // Returns true if initialization was successful
  // We can't continue with the rest of the program unless we can initialize the sensor
  while (!sensor.init()) {
    Serial.println("Init failed!");
    Serial.println("Are SDA/SCL connected correctly?");
    Serial.println("Blue Robotics Bar30: White=SDA, Green=SCL");
    Serial.println("\n\n\n");
    delay(5000);
}

@pam, can you please post a picture of how you have everything connected?

I used the updated code and I got only the word Starting in the serial monitor and nothing more.
Here is the picture of connections

Thanks,
Pam

Although, after some minute I get the same message in serial monitor as:

‘’
Init failed!
Are SDA/SCL connected correctly?
Blue Robotics Bar30: White=SDA, Green=SCL
‘’

It looks like you’ve done the same as Owen and have not soldered the header pins to the logic level converter. Please take the same advice and solder the connections/ensure continuity.

I just checked the continuity with multi meter and it was correct…

Yes, I soldered them.

Thanks,
Pam