Has someone using a T200 as a SAW?

I’m working on a new idea, I want to use a T200 motor to make a saw.

Can this be possible? someone has tried before?

1 Like

We modify a T-500 thruster for a wire brush motor. It has a standard 5/8 arbor for any type of angle grinder attachments. Not sure if the T-200 would have enough power to work well in that application… TRY IT! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bearings in these motors are thrust bearings and not intended for lateral loads so I would at least add an additional bearing to support the shaft before you tried using it to power a grinder. Also the motor is water cooled so unless this is an underwater grinder I would not suggest using it for this application.

1 Like

Hi

I had a mount made to run a metal cut off disc on an M200. Unless you can hold your ROV very forcefully against whatever you are trying to cut, it tends to bounce off. I have a mount coming that will allow me to have two M2OOs running beside each other with one of the discs rotating the other direction. Hopefully having a disc making a cut on either side simultaneously will cancel out the bouncing.

3 Likes

Just jumping in here to note that it likely makes more sense to try this kind of thing with an M200 Motor than a T200 Thruster, since the thruster form factor requires cutting parts off to expose the motor.

2 Likes

Hi
I have now mounted the two M200s side by side and just completed a pool test. Having the weight so far out in front makes the ROV work harder to compensate so I will go for larger battery and electronics tubes that will allow the tubes to be shorter.

2 Likes

Very clever accessory! Just wondered why two M200’s? Do you use both CW and CCW M200s to balance the torque force?

#Actually ignore that question - just read your previous post.

Hey @Outland. Curious, I’ve tried using a m200 for this same application in the past. We found it would have worked a lot better with a gearbox to give us more torque.

Did you guys implement a gearbox using the T500 thruster motor or does it run ok without?

We use it directly driven, no gearbox. However, we have significant bearing systems in place to account for side and thrust loads to eliminate impacts on the motor mechanics.

I think @tony-white made a gearbox brush for the M200 motor. Seemed like it worked great too!

Yes indeed! You can read more about it here - it was more of a demonstration, and I’m not confident it would hold up well in continuous hard use -as @Outland mentions bearing systems to eliminate load on the motor are critical!