Feedback on usage of Watertight Enclosure Locking Series (Rotation play, sand inside tube)

Hi, Bluerobotics! Hope you are fine!

The intent of this topic is not to ask for support, but rather express feedback on real-world usage of Watertight Enclosure Locking Series with some comparison to the “non-locking series” with the hope that in the future some issues will be resolved.

1. The locking feature sounds great, but the purpose is still not clear. In the water, there is still a very small probability that the tube will be opened, because of significant pressure applied to flanges.

2. Flanges are not perfectly locked from rotation, there is a noticeable play and you can rotate them easily (2inch models at least), so you can’t rely on it in case of camera installation. You will have to redo external calibration routines every time you open a tube.

3. There is a gap between the acrylic tube and flange where the locking cord is placed, and sand goes easily inside. It makes maintenance very, very dangerous. I even do not know how to open the tube without being scratched.
    Here is the photo:

I’ve just removed locks with my heart leading from the sound produced. Please, notice, that this issue was not present in the “non-locking” series, as it was possible to put flanges really close to the tube so sand has no chance to sneak into.
    Fortunately, we are not going deep for now and some scratches are not so dangerous. But for the more deep-diving robots, it makes tubes and o-rings disposable, not reusable.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
Oleksandr Slovak

Hi @slovak194,

Thank you for the feedback! Would you mind clarifying a few points:

In the water, there is still a very small probability that the tube will be opened, because of significant pressure applied to flanges.

With the locking cord inserted, can you give more details on how that might happen?

Flanges are not perfectly locked from rotation, there is a noticeable play and you can rotate them easily (2inch models at least),

Yes, we had to design some “play” into the caps and tubes. Too tight of a tolerance and they would be difficult to get seated.

There is a gap between the acrylic tube and flange where the locking cord is placed, and sand goes easily inside.

Interesting, nobody else has reported that issue. The most I can say is maybe use a pipe cleaner to clean out the groove before removing the endcap.

Hi, Kevin!

With the locking cord inserted, can you give more details on how that might happen?

You probably misunderstood me. There is no issue with unlocking.
I meant that this locking feature is not a must-have for most of the cases. We have tubes without locks and they do not self-unlock. And if there is a possibility to choose - I’d buy tubes without lock next time.

Yes, we had to design some “play” into the caps and tubes. Too tight of tolerance and they would be difficult to get seated.

I agree, but the triangular shape of a groove (instead of square) should help.

Interesting, nobody else has reported that issue.

Well, it does not mean that we are the only ones who have some sand in the operation volume.

BR,
Oleksandr Slovak