Converting an ROV to AUV

Greetings everyone. I am new to ROV and AUV but i am learning by converting the ROV to an AUV. Has anyone done this before? Can anyone shed light on this?

1 Like

What are your requirements and goals for the AUV?

I want the AUV to have a GUI that I or anyone can specify a particular function, Example would be for the AUV to move to a certain colored object or move along a certain colored marker.

Joshua, ArduSub and QGC have the functionality to set up autonomous waypoint missions and to perform actions at certain points in the missions, but those missions are based on GPS location, not surrounding features. In order to do the tasks you specified, it sounds like you will need to implement some computer vision algorithms. I don’t have experience with CV, but I would love to see it on a BlueROV2. If you are able to add some computer vision to the BlueROV2, I can help by showing you how to get the outputs of your algorithm into the Pixhawk and have ArduSub control the vehicle according to your outputs.

-Jacob

1 Like

Hi Jacob, I realize this is an older post, however, I am trying to use CV analysis on the Pi Camera outputs in the Raspberry Pi to determine appropriate autonomous output commands for the BlueROV2 Pixhawk controller. Can you send a code snippet to show how to get the outputs of my algorithm into the Pixhawk to control the vehicle with ArduSub? Best, Tim

Hi @Timz,

If you are using python, take a look in pymavlink and the necessary mavlink messages for your objective.
For further information, check the mavlink repository or the gitter channel.

Hello, everybody. In relation to Jacob’s last response, I would also like to receive guidance in that area. I’m currently working on an AUV using Ardusub, pixhawk and some Bluerov2 components. At the moment the system works “manually” using mavros on a raspberry pi, but my idea is to apply SLAM for location and mapping, as well as Optical flow for the estimation of position and speed relative to the sea floor.
Having data like the position, orientation, speed and depth of the vehicle, how the PID control is performed to navigate within the map obtained by SLAM? or how I could use this data, to configure each PID in the Pixhawk?.
Thanks for the help, Pablo

You can look at the mavlink documentation @patrickelectric mentioned, particularly Messages (common) · MAVLink Developer Guide

You can use this message in GUIDED mode. GUIDED mode is not stable and not supported yet. Redirecting...

Hi
I have the objective to convert our recently procured Blue ROV2 to AUV.
First I would like to do the conversion in simulation, then later on the bought ROV under your guidance.

Can you please help how to procced?

Hi,

For simulation you can use gazebo: Setting up a simulation environment - #2 by patrickelectric
Or you could also use our WIP and very experimental godot simulation environment: GitHub - bluerobotics/bluesim: BlueROV2 Simulator using godot engine.

Hi Patrik,

Thanks for the mail.
I have gone through the Gazebo link and tried to install it on Ubuntu 18.4 version, with Gazebo 9th version.

Incompatibility issues were found mainly with plugins.

Can you please suggest how to proceed in detail at the earliest?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Jyothi VBN