Camera Trigger in QGroundControl

Hi! I am using QGroundControl to pilot a BlueROV2. When I hit the camera button to take a picture, I get an error message that says “MAV_CMD_DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL command not supported”. Does anyone know how to get the camera set up so that I can take pictures with QGroundControl? Thanks!

Hi @akenny, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The photo control in QGroundControl is set up for MAVLink-enabled cameras that support internal image capture, which isn’t available on our Low-Light HD USB Camera (used on the BlueROV2).

The simplest approach would likely be to just use a keyboard shortcut to take a screenshot when you want an image, although that will also capture the QGC interface. If it’s important to have an image without the interface on it then:

• if you’re already recording the video, you can extract a frame from the video at the desired time (taking a screenshot at the time would probably be the easiest way of quickly recording the timestamp(s) of interest)
  • you could make an Issue requesting that local frame capture be enabled in a similar way to how local video recording is supported for cameras without onboard recording capabilities, or for an independent frame capture feature to be added with a standalone button/shortcut (there’s no particular reason that needs to be tied to what the camera supports, and saving the current frame on the computer is likely quite a bit faster than ‘take an image’ MAVLink requests anyway), although issues have no guaranteed implementation/resolution time
  • if full-frame images are a requirement (i.e. at the camera’s image resolution, instead of its streaming/video resolution) then you’ll need a different camera type that can support that

7 posts were split to a new topic: QGroundControl Not Recording Video

9 posts were split to a new topic: Raspberry Pi Camera stream not working

A post was merged into an existing topic: Raspberry Pi Camera stream not working

@DeepWaterExploration is there anyway to get your cameras to take a picture using your cameras during video recording?

When images go into a report they are always a still from the video files, which tend to be blurry due to the nature of video encoding.

But during an inspection, if we could take still images (not video grabs) using QGroundControl it may give better quality for the reports, assign the metadata and streamline an inspection process. Potentially adding a lot to the DWE camera’s capability?

1 Like

You could use a screenshot tool like Greenshot.
Bad and good thing is that you get the whole screen, including infotexts etc

1 Like