Bruno the snorkeling buddy

Hello everyone,

I don’t know if anyone reading this has experienced bringing family out for snorkeling with kids and wife that are afraid of water.

Being an avid diver/snorkeling person I wanted to make a solution that would help my wife feel more comfortable in the water and allow her to swim as fast as me.

This got me thinking and I built this prototype using 2x T200 thrusters. My nephew called it Bruno the Snorkeling buddy.

I never imagined the success I got over the weekend when we tested the prototype.

My young nephew who is 6 years old who can’t go in the water without clinging to her mother was perfectly content with clinging to Bruno instead.

I ended up going for a 2km snorkeling adventure and found it to be very useful even for me. The compartments allowed be to store some drinking water, towel and a snack. The propulsion helped we cross some sections that were featureless. The shade prevented me from being sunburned…

Still a lot of improvements to be made like getting the voltage up to 20V to get more thrust and a changeover switch for a second battery but I am sure it will turn out to be a great product for familles and resorts.

Cheers,
E.

10 Likes

What an awsome idea! where did you find the outriggers to make it?

1 Like

Making a mould for this would have been too expensive.

I searched for a day until my randomness took me to kayak outrigger.

They come in different size and shapes.

1 Like

Fantastic Etienne.

Wow, that’s awesome!!!

@etienne ,

may you post a link where someone can buy these outriggers?

mike

Just search for Kayak outrigger on Alibaba.

Rev 2 of the Snorkel buddy.

Upgrade it with Thruster commander and 2x 20V 22Ah batteries.

Testing it this weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks fantastic!

Will be interesting to find out how much the user experience has improved :slight_smile:

The Thruster commander was a definite improvement and the 20V batteries gave a nice boost of power.

Unfortunately the battery pack I chose was not waterproof enough and I will need to change this.

Next trial for rev3 in December… Hopefully this will be the final model.

1 Like