BlueROV 2 camera setup on another ROV?

Hey Guys,

The BlueROV2 is making some waves where I am, so much that I have someone who would love the BlueROV2 HD video capability on a Seaeye Falcon system! the system has a spare twisted pair for the Fathom-X interface board and a UBEC will be used to step 24v down to 5 for the RPi3 and the Fathom-x Boards. I also have a Wide angle HD rpi camera capable of 1080p at 30fps so the last thing I really need to know is what setup the BlueROV2 has for HD video, a lot of info online for setting up RPi cameras are a mix of dated and not relevant to how we use them. Would I be able to install the ArduSub RPi image and somehow log into the board and pick up the video stream using the likes of VLC or a browser? Cheers!

David,

Cool! This would be a fun project. The Raspberry Pi is running “GStreamer” to stream the video to the surface. Here’s the exact command that’s being used to initiate the stream:

raspivid --nopreview \ --mode 5 \ --bitrate 15000000 \ --intra 1 \ --awb auto \ --brightness 55 \ --saturation 10 \ --sharpness 50 \ --contrast 15 \ --drc medium \ -fl \ --timeout 0 \ --output - | \ gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! \ udpsink host=192.168.2.1 port=5600

On the receiving end you’ll need to run this command:

gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5600 caps='application/x-rtp, media=(string)video, clock-rate=(int)90000, encoding-name=(string)H264' ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! autovideosink fps-update-interval=1000 sync=false

There’s more info about this on the QGroundControl documentation, since we’re using the streaming method compatible with QGroundControl: https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol/blob/master/src/VideoStreaming/README.md

I hope that helps.

-Rusty