Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Battery help needed please

I live in South Africa and I have built my Blue ROV 2.
Because of the flight restrictions on Li-ion and Lipo batteries, I have been unable to source a battery from Blue Robotics, or Turnigy.
The Batteries are over 100Wh and therefore they cannot be transported by air.
I now have an ROV without batteries, so my next step is to build my own batteries.
Can anyone please supply help me with a schematic for the Battery that Blue Robotics supply.
I have ordered the individual cells and the spot welding machine to build my own batteries.
Any help will be appreciated.
I have the code on transport of Lithium products, if anyone is interested.

Hi Marius,

I made a post earlier explaining how to do this.

I also made a battery holder: 4s6p battery holder

And of course, the better alternative is to ditch batteries all together:
My subsea power module

What batteries did you get? They are not all equal and you need to be careful about discharge rate.

Cheers,
E.

Hi Etienne
Thank you for the information
I bought the Panasonic NCR18650B batteries.

I do not think this will work for you. Finding the right battery is difficult.

This guy is the number one battery tester. Check out his review:

You need to try and find a battery that can give 20A continuous discharge else you are wasting your time and money.

Because its a 4s6p battery pack, this will give you 120A of discharge.

The battery you opted for will fail if you use more than 25-35A continuous discharge. This means you won’t be able to use your ROV much past 50% gain and even then it still might fail.

I have tested many batteries, lots of fake batteries out there. At present I use MXJO which aren’t too bad. Took a lot of abuse compared to LG choco and other brands out here.

You will need to find the right local battery and check Mooch’s review to help you out.

Good luck.

1 Like

Hi Etienne

Thanks for your help.
I will have to make do with these for now, because that is all I can source in South Africa.
I will try to find the right ones.

Regards

Marius

Look in vape shops. That is where I get mine.

Check your voltage when you operate.

I have wasted a lot of money using wrong batteries. Had a lot of failures. it only takes one cell to fail for the whole battery pack to got tits.

You should try and buy from aliexpress. I think they can airship.

cheers.

Thank Etienne

I would like one of technical managers that handle the battery section to mail me, because I have a suggestion for shipping batteries, after reading the law.