Home        Store        Docs        Blog

ArduSub firmware not recognizing outboard pressure sensor

(TCIII) #1

Hi All,

When running ArduSub firmware on the BBBMINI, the outboard pressure sensor connected to the BBBMINI I2C bus is not being recognized by the firmware.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

(Jacob) #2

Fix in the works: https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub/tree/BBBMini-baro
Please let me know if you see scaled_pressure2 message in mavlink inspector.
-Jacob

(TCIII) #3

Hi Jacob,

We ran jaxxzer’s binary test build and either I have a defective BR Pressure sensor or we still have issues with the I2C driver as I am still only seeing a SCALED_PRESSURE parameter and not a SCALED_PRESSURE2 parameter. I am seeing GND_PRIMARY as being 2ndbaro.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

(TCIII) #4

Hi Jacob,

I have added 4.7k pull up resistors to the MINI SDA and SCL lines and there has been still no joy.

Using i2cdetect -r 2 returned addresses: 0x54 -0x57, but nothing at 0x76 on the external BBB I2C bus.

BBBMINI users using ArduCopter have reported that they cannot access a second MS5611 on the BBB external I2C bus so the problem may be in the Debian Kernel.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

(Jacob) #5

Rusty pointed this out to me yesterday. Main kernel support for ms5611:

-Jacob

(TCIII) #6

@Jacob,

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

(TCIII) #7

Hi All,

Mirko was able to get the MS5837 pressure sensor working with the BBBMINI: http://diydrones.com/group/bbbmini?commentId=705844%3AComment%3A2284815&xg_source=msg_com_group

Regards,

TCIII AVD

(Julian) #8

Rasp Pi 3 - Navio2. Ardusub built from source on Pi.

Cannot see how to get second Baro (depth sensor: Bar30 MS5837-30BA) configured.

The device is present on I2C bus at 0x76 (onboard baro at 0x77) - but no SCALED_PRESSURE2 messages.

Code inspection (I am new to this!) - I could see nowhere where a second baro gets added; I guess I could force it by substituting it for the onboard one (which is useless underwater anyway); but my reading indicates that t should be working, I don’t want to wander too far off the path!

Thanks

Julian

(TCIII) #9

@Julian,

Try reading ArduSub Gitter starting with July 22 for a discussion concerning the operation of the MS5837 pressure sensor.

(Jacob) #10

You will need to start with something like this.

See also (shouldn’t have to change anything here)

(Julian) #11

@TCII - thanks for the reference.

@Jacob: that is rather what I expected to find, I had this idea it was in the code already and I was missing something.

Thanks

[Sensor now working: for anyone else with Navio2 the MS5837 is on I2C bus 1 (not 2 like the BBB_Mini) at address 0x76]

(Jacob) #12

Great. Did you set use_timer to true or false? If you can post the changes you made, we can get them incorporated to master.

-Jacob

(Julian) #13

Initially without timer; just tried with timer - no noticeable difference (update rate etc).

Not sure of the implications, so prefer timer=false for now.

Happy to create a branch and PR if that is the way forward, else diffs - or what would preference be?

Julian

(TCIII) #14

Hi All,

Mirko’s latest BBBMINI baro build, https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub/tree/pr/bbbminibar30, has gotten the MS5837 pressure sensor working correctly with the BBBMINI.

See ArduSub Gitter for additional information.

Regards,

TCIII AVD