Adhesive to use when bonding syntactic foam

Hi All,

I am going to need to bond pieces of syntactic foam together and would like a recommendation for the type of adhesive to use.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Hi there,
Others may work but the glue recommended to me by Trelleborg who manufacture Syntatic foam is 3M Scotch-Weld 1838 B/A.
Its a two part expoxy glue and I’ve used it to make several large buoyancy blocks for large ROVs and never had a failure.
Gavin

2 Likes

@nemorov,

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Hey @TCIII

Please be so kind to share your results :smiley:

Regards!

@luisgamez,

The 3M Scotch-Weld 1838 B/A is around $60 for the two part epoxy which is a little out of my league for hobby ROVs.

Rusty has recommended using the Loctite Marine epoxy and has indicated that he has achieved good results with that epoxy.

I will let you know how the Loctite Marine epoxy performs.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Thanks TCIII !!!

@luisgamez,

The Loctite Marine Epoxy worked great and provided a solid bond between the two pieces of syntactic foam.

Since I am working with small pieces of syntactic foam I cannot attest to the shear strength of the bond, however the bond seam appears to be good and solid and will meet my modest structural requirements.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

1 Like

Hi @TCIII

Thanks for your feedback I might need to do this bonding in the next couple of weeks!! ill proceed to use the marine loctite epoxy