Buoyancy foam molding

I’m researching buoyancy foam for an underwater camera mount. Is there a buoyancy foam similar to 3300 that could be poured or injected into pvc pipe? Could 3300 perhaps be shredded into a powder and mixed with another item to give it liquid form until hardening? Is there a liquid form version of 3300 which be molded?

1 Like

A more general question would be if there exists a closed cell foam that can be molded, sprayed or injected that has similar properties to the 3300. Properties include buoyancy, mold resistant, impact resistant, and being resistant to both salt and fresh water.

Hi @darkmoon3d ,

We investigated this at length ourselves some time ago, and were not able to find anything that had nearly the same ability to resist pressure and not become waterlogged. Unfortunately, we concluded there is not really any sprayable or castable foam out there that has properties good enough to use at non-trivial depths. We’d love to be proven wrong!

-Adam

2 Likes

Something like this is what had in mind - Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam
Is anyone familiar with this brand?

…then i got Syntafoam,s recipy a whie ago, but Will justsay what i already knew before the small adjustments… Mix Epoxy /Polyester and bits if boyancy inn moulded form, then add microbsllons ( for less Weight) get All air out and you Will go deep… No Moore Cnc, just moulding IT, you van also water/ preassure proof el compo ents Too… Then no moore 4" Tube problems; bit Still Will make one ofbstainles , and seal a lot of components for 1000m dive;) …, Try and fail is the clue;)…feks a want ESC’ out of the can,