Custom buoyancy blocks

Anyone can point me towards a cost effective buoyancy manufacturer?

Depth rated for 500m.

I looked into offering this service a little while back and there are some problems for people wanting to get started in it. At the BlueRobotics/Ardusub level, people don’t want to spend big bucks on stuff because it often doesn’t make sense to spend $2000 on custom buoyancy for a $4000 sub. I’d recommend buying some plywood, mold release, sandpaper, lots of dust masks, and some of this: Urethane Foam , Expanding Marine Polyurethane Foam

It’s 16lb, but really more like 12lb when compared to proper stuff like this:

So I’d consider it 300m as is and 600m if coated.

This would make a great coating:

But it’s super expensive, so maybe just fiberglass if you want to keep cost down.

I believe that Bluerobotics are addressing the recreational market very well. That is not the market I am coveting.

Most of my designs are for professionals who want a better more cost effective system for doing inspection work.

As such, I am presently designing my own ROV and am looking to make something commercial grade.

This is where my interest for custom buoyancy comes from.

I read about 3m microspheres and epoxy resin and all but I must admit I do not want to go down that road.

Thanks for the links, I will look into it.

E.

1 Like

You can try SynFoam. They have precast blocks and castable products in very large selection of depth ratings. SW-18 looks like what you could be looking for.

http://www.synfoam.com/Products/SynFoam_SW

Thanks Doug, I know of the usual commercial buoyancy providers but they are way to expensive…

Trying to see if anyone on here has alternatives…

First quote I got wanted about 500USD for the buoyancy and 3500USD for the machining and finishing…

I sent a RFQ out to everyone and will let you know which one was the cheapest…

Hi all,

I also need some custom buoyancy inserts for new generative design for BR2, and also was looking for some custom solutions.

I have two possible ideas…

One is 3D printing a mold and casting some kind of resin or something similar. Can make it internally tougher with some kind of reinforcement (either metal or plastic).

Second one is, is there a foam of some sort which would survive up to 50-100 m? Making of 3D printed structure to support foam internally, reinforcement or coating it with something.

What do you all think about that?
Did you stumble upon some other possible solution?

Hi Etienne,

What is the cost of the buoyance blocks you found?
What is the composition of the material?

Cheers,
BP

i get ut cheap if i need :slight_smile: eĂĄoxy and microbaloons & :slight_smile:

1 Like

Epoxy and microbsloobs, also calked syntofoam or sonethiibg like thst, this i got for free:)

1 Like

I have the formula:) easy… Epoxy and microballons, pm for exact mix:)

1 Like

Did you get your resin to withstand how much external pressure?

Not ising too much microballons and vscuum All All air put, CAN mix spør polyester om too, i use the clear for fun and colurs