Additional external camera

I have built something along these lines. I had some of the same requirements as you guys for a GoPro that can be viewed live on the surface while it is recording to monitor the status, and also to fully control the camera (on/off/start/stop/change modes/etc…) remotely via rs-232 or 485.
I know its old tech now, but I heavily modified the Hero4 black to reposition the image sensor to be inline with the enclosure, make all controls available remotely, live video out (CVBS), add heat-sinking to the camera, powered externally (7-32vdc), internal battery backup (UPS) in case there is power loss it will gracefully shut down, and a compact housing designed for well over 2000’ depth.
I made a number of these for different projects and plan to make about 15 more at the end of the year.
They can run a user defined script to operate however you want. For example it can power up/down with the ROV power and automatically start/stop recording for simple hands off operation. It can be manually controlled from the surface controller, or it can perform more complex routines, such as power up take a photo and then record a video for 5 minutes, then power down, and repeat that every hour for as long as the SD card lasts.
I have put seacon connectors and BR penetrators on them, and just built one with the Blue Trail connector, which works well.
The next version may also include a small plug to remove the SD card without opening the housing.
The overall dimensions are about 6.5" x 3" x 3".
These work great for science, and I also use them on my towed camera sleds, as well as some other very deep water applications.
If anyone is interested in more info let me know.

2 Likes