During testing, we noticed that our ROV motors were spinning slowly. We checked the input, and we had about 12.5 volts. We then checked the output from the control system, and it was giving 8.5 volts. We are wondering why there is a limited output (would it be the Saberteeth, PixHawk, or QGround control?) and possible ways to fix it. We would like to use this control system, but if we can’t get a higher output to our motors we will need to come up with a plan B since we intend to compete at a MATE competition.
Above is a photo of our control system, but our Sabertooth DIP switches are currently set for RC input (unlike what is shown in this photo). The Saberteeth are 2x5 from Dimension Engineering-more info here. In QGroundControl, we are using the ROV with side-by-side vertical thrusters configuration. We have six motors (12 wires) that are currently wired into the Saberteeth (unlike what is shown in the photo). The motors are bilge pumps with propellers attached and the wire is Ethernet. We have the Fathom-S Tether Interface boards, but we currently do not have a camera set up.
If you have any other questions, please let me know. We would like to figure out how to solve this issue soon, and we have already done some troubleshooting.
CEO and CFO of Altum Operations