Tether Disconnect w/ Locking Connectors

I would have, but did not see that part when I was shopping around :frowning:

@kevin
I understand, but that would be easy since a diameter of 7/16 inch = 11,1 mm and the penetrator is 10 mm it would not need much work. The only thing is, is there room enough for the outer shield?

@Holtz_dk I have one, I’ll check tonight for clearance.

@kevink
Perfect, thanks!

Looks good, think I will go for that one.
Thanks for the help!

Did a quick BOM list on the site:
MCIL4F $33.12 Micro-Wet Inline Connector - 4 Socket Female
MCBH4M $55.38 Micro-Wet Inline Connector - 4 Socket Female
N-W-S002-Brass $6.00 Nut & Washer - Brass
MCDLS_F $7.00 Micro Wet Female Locking Sleeve
$101.50

We might have to trim the bulkhead nut down a little. McMaster-Carr has a nut 0.0625" smaller in diameter.
there is little room to tighten the nut with all the cables/penetrators. Might have to move some penetrators around to free up adjacent space.
Keep us updated!
also, Bass Nut will take 8 week to deliver, and In-Line Female connector will be available 8 September. long wait!
Doyle

How did you fit the SEA CON pigtail through the BR penetrator?

The diameter of the 4 pin seacon cable fits inside the external face of the BR penetrator. To pass through the penetrator internal face, I removed the cable sheath. There was not so much place, so I used silicon to let the 4 internal cables pass through. Only two cables are necessary but I decided for a 4 pin one waiting for possible upgrades. Finally, I waterproofed the penetrator injecting resin with a syringe. I added some insulating tape but it is actually useless.

1 Like

The SeaCon 8-pin pigtail fits in the BR large penetrator. It is a very tight fit for the wires though, and seems like not enough room for a proper potting in the tube. If I had to do it over I would probably strip the insulation from the wires and cover them with thin-wall heat shrink, to open up more room for the epoxy. In the end I gritted my teeth and spent the money for a SeaCon bulkhead fitting.

If you are only going to 30’ depth and willing to drill a custom endcap you could probably run the pigtail through an IP68 or IP69K rated cord grip. McMaster-Carr.

1 Like

This is great. Can you people sell this somewhere? I’d be glad to pay what your time is worth.

I’m in the manufacturing process of MCBH8F & M bulkheads with M10 threads and matching cables. Will be available in about 4 weeks.

3 Likes

I’d be very interested in this, trying to get Seacon connectors within a sensible timeframe or sensible volume (i.e., not 100’s) is troublesome.

Hi Matthew

If you send a email to sales@outlandtech.com you will be able to by a small amount of what you want.

See… http://www.outlandtech.com/

I have bought my seacon connectors from him.

Best Regards

Erland Hansen
Larvik Norway

2 Likes

I just built my quick disconnect and used exactly that connector. The 4" bulkhead leaves a little bit of space around one of the holes for exactly this kind of bulkhead connector. It took ~15 mins to drill out the aluminum plate and tap it to 7/16" for the connector. Of course, it takes several hours to fully disassemble the electronics, get the bulkhead plate out, and then put everything back together again. The devotional acts of undersea monks :slight_smile:

1 Like