Want to know about biomonitoring techniques

Hey all. I’m looking for some help. How Biomonitoring is performed? Do you guys know anything about it? How important is biomonitoring? Which all remotely operated vehicles are used for this process? It would be a great help if anyone can help me with it. While searching online, I came to read this piece of information on Biomonitoring and found it pretty informative. If you guys have any other information to share please do mention them, it would be a great help to me. Thank you.

Hi @Mary_123, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The Aquatic Biomonitoring Wikipedia page is likely a good place to start:

Biomonitoring is important for understanding the effects and impacts of human works and changing environments/climate on ecosystems. Like with anything, how important it is depends on who you ask, and the context you’re asking in. As an example, sustainable fishing isn’t possible if you don’t have any idea of how much and how varied the sea-life is in an area, but that’s likely more important to environmental organisations and sustainability certification bodies than it is to individual people fishing.

Not quite sure what you’re asking here. Most ROVs could be used for biomonitoring in some capacity, but some ROVs will be better suited to it than others. Different ROVs will have different movement capabilities, and different sets of sensors. If you’re following sharks maybe the ROV needs to be able to move quickly, but if it’s just counting how many crabs walk past then speed and manoeuvrability are less important. The best sensors to use would depend on the types of life that are being monitored, as well as the water conditions, operating depth, and so on (e.g. a camera isn’t very helpful if there’s no light or if the water is very murky).

Hi!

This article is a cool example, and they seem to be using a BR2

1 Like