USR1-A is born

USR1 has been modified to: move all thrusters to the center of the WTE, the addition of legs, and replacing the internal compass with a rate gyro. I call it USR1 model A.

The rate gyro for yaw control is working well in the swimming pool. We’ll see how it goes at sea next week.

There is no EMI interference to the rate gyro, as there was for the compass. Vertical thruster torque yaw is no longer existent. I am using a Kp of 5 and a Kd of 3.

The legs are aluminum and bouncy enough to absorb shock from a hard bottoming.

Thanks to everyone that has offered advice and suggestions. I listen to and study every one of them.

Richard

Here are a few more pictures showing the new setup.

Richard,

Looks good! Let us know how this one does near the bottom in the sand.

-Rusty

Hi Richard,

A very ingenious way of attaching the Thrusters to the WTC! Nice work!

I have purchased just the Frame of the BlueROV1 and plan to experiment with a three thruster configuration.

ArduSub can actually be configured for a three thruster configuration, however I decided to try out the OpenROV 2.8 Developer’s Controller Kit. It has a single twisted pair tether for communication like BR’s new twisted pair Ethernet interface boards and can send HD video over the twisted pair. OpenROV also has their own GUI that is actually a webpage generated by the Controller BBB and can be viewed with a web browser like Chrome.

The only drawback to this Controller is the fact that the ESC power is limited to 20 amps which is not enough for running the T100 Thrusters at full power. However the Controller onboard ESCs can be bypassed with larger ESCs supplied with external power or the Thruster power can be limited using the GUI. I might replace the present Controller ESCs with higher current units.

OpenROV also offers an external IMU/Compass/Pressure Sensor module that can communicate with the Controller over the I2C bus.

Again, nice work with you new configuration.

Regards,

TCIII

Hi Richard,

Is there a reason for mounting your BR Thrusters backwards to the forward motion of your ROV?

Regards,

TCIII AVD

There not mounted backwards. Where do you see that?

@Richgard,

If the camera end of the ROV is assumed to be the front of the ROV, then the Thrusters are mounted backwards to the forward motion of the ROV. If not and the cable end is assumed to be the front of the ROV, then the Thrusters are mounted correctly in relation to the forward motion of the ROV.

According to the BR documentation the cable end of the Thruster is the front of the Thruster.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

I guess your right, I never thought much about it. I just assumed the pointy end was forward and the cable end was in the rear. Oh well, I certainly am not going to change anything now. I may be losing some efficiency but the ROV is so overpowered as it is, and battery life isn’t close to an issue, I’ll just let it go.

Richard

@Richard,

Not to worry, as Rusty has pointed out the difference between forward and reverse thrust is minimal.

Regards,

TCIII AVD