Home        Store        Learn        Blog

Upgrading camera to raspberry pi HQ camera

Hello,

I would like to upgrade the low light usb camera to the new raspberry pi HQ camera for 4k recording. How would I go about this?

Cheers,
J

Which part do you want help with?

A couple of notes on the RPi HQ camera:

1. it has an IR filter which makes low-light situations difficult to capture (you can remove the filter if you want, although it voids the warranty)
  2. it can take 4K still images, but only 1080p video (so no video upgrade)

If you’re planning to stream from it the same way that the existing camera streams to QGC, the camera module README seems to say it supports h264 video output, in which case I believe it should get picked up automatically by the existing companion software and happily stream to you, albeit with the same resolution as the camera you’ve already got, and worse low-light performance.

For mounting it, you’d likely need to design a custom mount to attach it properly, particularly if you’re planning to push it back far enough that you can fit a C/CS lens with it into the enclosure, unless you’ve got a mount adaptor and a small (M12?) lens that fits as is (see near the end of this article for details).

Does anyone have really tested HQ Raspberry Pi in ultra low light conditions with IR filter removed? I would like to integrate this camera to perform both “daylight” video with white LEDs illuminator ( around 2800lm) but also “infra-red” video with IR 850nm LEDs illuminator.
I don’t know if “daylight” video performance are degraded by removing IR filter ?
My initial solution was to use 2 cameras ( one specific for IR vision and a HQ for normal vision)but in this case, the integration isn’t quite easy!!
Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Marc,