Scanning Sonar Testing

Wow! This opens the turbid river systems for environmental cleanup…and care.

Hi Rusty,

thanks for sharing.

You reckon the same setting would work for RS232?
We got a Tritech Micron but with RS 232 port.

1 Like

Hi Liping, I don’t think the RS232 could be sent directly through the tether. However, I believe you can reconfigure the sonar for RS485 pretty easily. I’m not sure how to do that but I think it’s in the manual.

thanks Rusty. yes just need an extra converter

Hi Rusty,

Do you have any wiring diagrams for hooking up the the micron. I didn’t put together our BlueRov2 and we have a micron to try with our unit.

Hi Ben,

I don’t have the Micron wiring info nearby, but you can make the following connections:

Micron Ground —> ROV Ground on Terminal Block
Micron Power —> ROV Power on Terminal Block
Micron RS485 D+ —> ROV Tether Green (for example, can use any extra tether pair)
Micron RS485 D- —> ROV Tether White-Green (for example, can use any extra tether pair)

On the surface you’ll have to connect the green pair to a USB to RS485 converter. Also please make sure that your Micron is configured for RS485 instead of RS232. Their engineers can help you with that if you have any issues.

-Rusty

1 Like

Define an “interesting” price. I’m interested in theory but not well funded heh.

1 Like

Hi @apinsker,
I want to know what your best price is for the MRS900L sonar.

Hi Svein, I am no longer affiliated with Echologger.

The official Sales price used to be 6500 US for the MRS900

Pls do not hesitate contacting me directly if there was anything else I could do for you! Best regards, Andreas

Tom, interesting means exactly that :wink: that you still consider after knowing the price.

Pls contact me under ap@marine-distribution-consulting.com and I let you know more :wink:

Best Andreas

Hi Rusty
I’ve found you tube video posted by you guys regarding echologger MRS900. How easy was it to use with BlueRov? What about the image quality?

Hi @bhkim,

We really like the Echologger sonar. I was really easy to use and the interface was well designed and worked well. We sent the communications over RS485 through an extra twisted pair in the tether. Image quality was good and comparable to the Tritech Micron.

-Rusty

h i @305155973 ts nice and simple to switch between 485 and 232. it in the coms setup in Seanet Pro. Despite the small package, the Micron sonar has many features often found
in much larger units, such as digital CHIRP technology, variable speed and
range and either RS485 or RS232 connectivity

Hi @kevink the price of the micron is around £5k. I’m not on the sales team so cant give you the exact price but that deep trecker link is not an accurate reflection. let me know if theres any extra info you’d like and i’ll do my best to get it to you. thsanks

Sonar is the topic no.1 for many of the BR2 owners. I have tested Imagenex 852, Tritech micron and at the moment i have installed a sonar head called SonaVision Mercury. It has been in the marked for a while, but it is more accurate then the two first one.

Here is a few screenshots from todays dive.

1 Like

Wow! there’s a blast from the past!!
There is a high probability that I built the transducer for that mercury.
The images look good, It would be nice to have a side by side comparison.

Hi Svein H,
Do you have any idea of the price of the Sonavision mercury ? Thanks

Regards

Richard Gordon

Hi,

IT cost approx. 6000 euro New, but i am planning to sell mine for 3000 euro. Tax. Excluded.

Cheers

Svein Harald Sigurdsen

Hmm interesting, what would this come with? Topside and sonar? Does it run on 485 up a two? Cheers

Richard

Looking forward to see this at this price range.

Did you try this one: https://www.tritech.co.uk/product/gemini-720im

Multi beam is the way of the future. Bluerobotics made a very cheap sonar with the ping, perhaps using multiple ones operating on different frequencies could do the trick?

Cheers,
E.