Reusable Cable Splice Kits for Multiple Cable Sizes

Underwater Cable Splice Kits for Multi-Cable Sizes.

By design these mold kits are completely reusable. The innovative cable adapter design allows the user to switch between sizes quickly and easily. Sizes can even be mixed, as in larger cable to smaller cable. Custom kits available as well as embossed company logo on the molds.
More details and pricing

3 Likes

That is great kit! We will contact you shortly.

Kind regards

Deep Supplies

1 Like

A very delicate product!
You can try to make the mold out of aluminum alloy and heat it up to achieve rapid field vulcanization?
We usually make transparent plastic disposable moulds, which cost less and can see the bubbles inside.(Especially when dozens of cables need to be spliced at the same time.)
A quick question: Why is there a roll of tape in the package? What is it for?

I have carried out tests on the newly made penetrator vulcanizing mould and found no problem with 15Mpa pressure (we can see that the cables have been creased with water pressure). 3M2131 is always great.

A test sample:

Troy - Please see answers below.

Tape: “Cable sizes very plus/minus .05, vinyl tape is included to help ensure no potting compound leakage.” - From our website.

AL Molds: Our molds are also available in aluminum if the customer prefers. We have not found the need to heat the molds while using the Scotchcast 2131. We have heard of people using a vacuum chamber to ensure any bubbles are removed.

Good luck with your penetrator mold. Can you post a picture of the final product?

Hi Jeff,
I saw a system like this and thought it would be useful when someone need a quick splice:
Video: PDM Compact Quickcure Moulding System

Here are the new design penetrator and Mold. (Mass production is in progress)
I can send you a trial after the production is finished if you want.

Troy - Looks interesting and “yes” to the trial. Do you have any pictures of a potted penetrator with your mold?

Hi Jeff,

The injection mold is still being processed, and this is splice with a printed sample part, so the surface is very rough.
This is an earlier mold product:

Troy - The clear mold looks like the ROVMaker molds I have seen before on Aliexpress. Do you work for ROVMaker? We have used those types of molds before and they were definitely good for emergencies.

The penetrator mold looks promising. What type of epoxy are you using?

Hi Jeff,
I started ROVMAKER company in 2016 with former partner, and I have left that company this year.

Also using Scotchcast 2131, and I’ve found some new ways to make it as simple and economical as using AB glue rather than having to use up the entire package in a very short time.

Interesting. Is 2131 readily available for you in China? Just curious as it is not readity available in other places around the world. I will also be posting another, alternate, epoxy on our ‘splice page’ that has been working very well for us and has some better properties than 2131. Coming soon.

(I have some additional questions that are not appropriate for this string. Please email me at jeff@blue-linked.com to continue the conversation about the other items.)

Yes, 2131 is widely used in electricity and municipal works in China, so i can buy easily and cheaply.
Looking forward to your new product.

I have sent you an email. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I have recently done a lot of testing with splicing cables.

I have tested a number of different urethane and 3M potting compounds. This was done using 3D printed molds.

The aim was to test joining of BlueROV R1 7.5mm tether and BlueROV Slim 4mm tether with MCIL connectors 8.5mm.

Findings:

• Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) works well as mold release (available, easy to apply and effective)
    • Silicone grease, technical oil, silicone spray, olive oil
  • Bonding to 7.5mm BlueROV R1 is nearly impossible
  • Scotchcast 2131B worked best
  • PUR80 worked well
    • Adding a small amount of coloured mica powder had no effect on adhesion
  • Flame treating the cables makes a positive difference

I took some inspiration from Oultland Tech here.

Here are the molds I made.

Mating faces of the molds were wet sanded on 320grit sandpaper until smooth and internal faces were lightly sanded.

The aim here was to get some experience splicing cables. I had some spare pieces of MCIL pig tail to play with. I have 300m of old R1 tether and wanted to try get that to pot well. I have never succeeded in the past.

I also wanted to test some different potting compounds. Scotchcast 2131B is hard to get in South Africa and expensive. I found that PUR80 works quite well and can be coloured with mica powder for extra style points. In mission critical applications use 2131B.

I found that nothing sticks to the R1 Tether. I think it is jacketed in Polyethylene. In the end I cheated. I applied a thing film of Gorilla Glue to the cable and then applied heat shrink over the top. I could not source the right size of adhesive heat shrink. Getting a bond with the heat shrink was no problem.

@magnusmyklebost suggested flame treating the cable here. I found that this helped, but it is hard to quantify how much.

If you need a really soft potting material, I would suggest Vytaflex. It seemed to adhere well, but only goes up to 60A.

Hope this help someone. If you need a custom size mold and have a 3D printer, I will happily modify for you.

3 Likes