Ping1D Firmware Manual Update Fail via Ping-Viewer (Both on Windows& Ubuntu)

Hi guys,

I am having trouble updating the firmware of Ping1D Altimeter (since it is not displaying any data on Ping-viewer) but failed. The error message is as below with Ping-viewer (v2.4.2 for Linux) on my Ubuntu 22.

As you can see, now it is showing firmware 0.0 for this ping1D sonar, which is apparently wrong. I have not seen the same topic here in the forum. Anyone can help out?

I had a similar error before when I was trying update firmware on my windows laptop.

BTW, tried to open up the sonar according to the trouble shooting page, but I was not able to open the blue ring no matter how hard I turned counterclockwise.

It seems ping-viewer already recognizes the sonar device as the green button below? But on information page, it shows 0 device (image attached)

Anybody can help out? really appreciate.

Hi @305155973,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your device.

Your error messages are actually unrelated:

1. The Linux one is saying stm32flash is not available
    • This suggests that the underlying program (stm32flash) which performs the firmware flashing is not present/accessible on your system, so it can’t even attempt the update
    • I’ve raised an issue for this so it’s possible to track progress on the issue
    • as a workaround in the meantime, that error should be resolved if you install stm32flash on your system (e.g. using sudo apt install stm32flash)
  2. The Windows one is successfully loading/running stm32flash, but is failing to connect to / initialise the chip on your Ping1D device

I’m unfortunately not sure of the cause of either issue, so I’ve raised this internally and will try to get some meaningful suggestions.

It may help to have a piece of fabric between your hand and the (blue) transducer ring, or put a wide rubber band around the transducer ring. It can require a firm grip, but shouldn’t be impossible to open.

Thanks very much, Eliot. I finally managed to open the lid this morning and replied to G.Torres and your support team email with images attached.