My first dive in Weymouth

Hi,

I bought my BlueROV2 in January and have been busy at work since but finally managed a couple of dives from a beach on the Isle of Portland , Weymouth, UK. Some pics and a short video clip for your interest. I will learn how to drive in a straight line one day!!

Lee

Actually I am not sure the pictures have made it through and the video definitely wont load. More practice needed here too.

Regards

Lee

5 Likes

Hi Lee,

Cool! Thanks for sharing! The pictures came through but I don’t see a video. You should be able to post a Youtube link and it will embed the video automatically.

As far as driving straight, you should try “Stabilize” mode and the ROV will do all the hard work :wink:

-Rusty

Rusty, thanks, the video said wrong format so will look into that.
I tried depth hold and that was nice although local currents on second dive made it interesting. I will try all the other modes soon.

Slightly off topic but what is a safe battery voltage ( I understand depth, range and current all make a difference) to start thinking of recovery? I have completed two dives of 45 mins each. Kids got bored on the first?

Kind regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

Okay. I’d recommend posting the video to Youtube or some other video site and linking it here. Our forums can’t handle huge video files.

We usually start recovering the ROV around 13V, which gives you a bit of margin. Note that the voltage can go lower when the thrusters are running and the battery is under load, so you’ll want to pause the vehicle for a moment while you check this number.

-Rusty

Hi Lee,
Awesome tether setup! Do you mind sharing the parts you used (reel and slip ring) and how you mounted it to work in that orientation?

Cheers
mg

Marcus,

I was a bit lazy here so bought it from 2KR Systems. The box, reel, slip ring and wet mateable connectors were all part of the package. It certainly makes moving 300m of tether around easier. The SEACON MiL8 wet mateable connectors were bought from PEI-Genesis UK. One end moulded onto the tether and the other fed directly through a blank penetrator on the end cap.

Lee

1 Like

Hi there. I see your in Weymouth your rov and tether case looks brilliant. I’m over in Bournemouth would to chat about your experiences with the rov.
I can’t afford my own yet but my wife’s works at Bournemouth uni and I’m trying to talk them into buying one, they are very close just want to know more. Did you get it direct from blue robotics.
My emails leehall17@msn.com
Cheers
Lee

Continuing the discussion from My first dive in Weymouth:

Hi,

Yes I bought the ROV direct off their website and once I’d paid the import duties, it arrived very quickly. The kit was easy to build, I wish they had left the electronics as a kit so I could tinker. I also got the tether and temp sensor direct at the same time.
I have only managed a few dives so far but am happy to answer any questions you have and would be interested in what your plans are with Bournemouth Uni.
Regards

Lee

Hi lee thanks for getting back to me. yeah I have many questions lol.
If you don’t mind me asking how much was the import tax roughly?

Do you use yours for work?

My wife’s a marine biologist and they have a project that will need surveys doing and they want to set up stereo camera system.

We have been talking to the U.K. distributor about a demonstration but they don’t have one to demo.

It would be nice to keep up with your progress with the rov.

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee,

I am in Norfolk. Is your wife carrying out any research in this area? My ROV has BR electronics with my own thrusters and frame.

Terry.

1 Like