On our first job with BR2

Hi guys,

We’re on our first job with BR2.

I’ll be posting a short clip later.

This is our setup: (Handsome fellow in the chair would be me.:slight_smile:)

We mounted a rear facing camera inside the battery housing using BR’s 3inch dome and flipped the housing around.

We also installed a quick connect on the tether.

I’ll post these mods later when I have more time.

Cheers,
E.

4 Likes

Nice with a reverse cam :-). Is the black cable in front of the ROV, the quick disconnect? Do you have a strain releafe on the tether?

Hey etienne,

Where are you. I mean what is the scope of the job as you are carrying PC´s and Displays and some kind of microphone maybe radio communication?

Regards!

Hi Mikxie,

The quick disconnect is in the front. Using the thimble provided by BR until I receive my cable sock.

I’ll show pictures of the umbilical when I go out again tonight.

Here are some pictures of the current setup. This is all very experimental so don’t mind the excess cable and the poor tiewrap job. Once we are happy with the final setup we will sort out our cables better.

We have now moved the battery enclosure farther back and shifted the weights (no pictures) and will see if it still flies good.

Hi Luis,

I can’t say too much about the job since I am under contractual restriction.

This is shore work. We have a canopy shelter. The clearcomm is used for communication with the Tender and client control room.

Rear camera is a fantastic addition. The fish eye lens gives a very good picture. The client was even mentioning it was better than the front facing one. In reality it was just because it is a low light camera and I don’t have any lights on it.

Cheers,
E

1 Like

It looks like a very dirty job :slight_smile: the ROV seems covered in silt.

I’m a little confused about the cabling, how come you need two tether cables between battery and electronics? With 4 pairs in each, that sounds like quite a bunch.
Do you fly the ROV with the tether in front?

thats cuz he is streaming video with a second camera @mikxie

That residue is highly concentrated chlorine and yes it makes me cringe.

In order to share with you why the cables are like that let me tell you a story that happened to us.

We had just installed the mini wet con tail modification to the tether and the ROV cameras were really slow. ROV telemetry was ok but everything was delayed. Turned out that we had one pair connected at the ROV and going nowhere and another piar connected on our controller and going nowhere. The reason we had comms with the ROV is purely because of crosstalk because the pairs are not shielded. Took us a while of troubleshooting before we figured that one out.

So you see, non-shielded twisted pairs can’t allow any other comms on the other wires.

This means I have one piece of tether for my rear facing camera, one for the ROV comms, one power cable from the batteries and one bulkhead mini wetcon.

Why do I put my bulkhead there? Because when I install my power module instead of the battery, it will connect to the mini wetcon.

This way I can use the same wetcon either for the battery or my power module. With either tether. So I can switch from a battery operated system to surface supply as fast as just changing the battery…

Yes, but if he is using a USB camera, 2 pairs should do it. Or am I missing something

I use network camera: SIP E185D 1/1.9" SONY CMOS IMX185 Hi3516D H.265 2MP 1080P ONVIF2.4 Super Starlight Sony Starvis Board CCTV IP Camera Module|Surveillance Cameras| - AliExpress

USB cameras are converted to network via the rasP

My way is much more simple and allows you to plug as many as you want as long as you have enough bandwidth.

I need 6 conductors. 4 for network 2 for power.

Thank you for the clarification!

Concentrated chlorine sounds nasty! I hope you remember to rince it before loading it in the car :-o

And now I don’t need to ask about the black plastic in the first picture…

Once I get some underwater shieled network cable I’ll be dropping one cable.

1 Like

The camera looks nice.

Btw, I just made a cable sock from a piece of dyneema rope.

that is interesting, how is the grip?

The cable sock I bought:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/cable-socks-cable-puller-wire-grips-for-6-9mm-cable-puller/1991179503.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.EiNKrn

With dyneema you need to secure the end with vinyl tape, self vulcanising tape or heat shrink, if you do that, the grip is excellent.

1 Like