LC to HC conversion

Is there a conversion kit for LC to HC (or HC to LC) available?
I just purchased three 6.5mm LC penetrators based on the selection guide but find that the outer sheath of my cable is softer than I realized. I’m not sure if buying the HC version will fix this problem and could be a waste of money.
It seems that the only difference is the compression nut and seal. It would be a lot cheaper to buy them separately so I can experiment.
Another solution could be to make washers of various thickness to increase the compression.
Machining a bit off the fitting would work but that would remove the corrosion protection.
Has Blue Robotics considered any of these issues?

Hi @Rov36 -
I would recommend against trying to use washers, although it is an interesting idea for fine tuning. Please contact us here, and we can provide you HC replacements.

I have successfully achieved this using 3D printed PETG washers (100% infill) in a pinch, but I would not recommend this approach. The value of the stuff you are trying to keep dry generally far exceeds the cost of the right penetrators. If I recall correctly, the right washer for me was around 2mm thick for 6.5mm penetrators.

As a side note, I have also used this “washer” approach when drilling out M14 penetrators to 10.5mm. Here they were to help stop the compression nut from chewing up the seals. This worked and saved the project timeline, but falls into the super sketchy, don’t try this at home, category.

1 Like

Can I buy conversion parts separately?
I think the compression nut is the only difference. Can I buy HC nuts separately?
The other issue is shipping. $30 courier cost for a small part makes it very expensive.

Hi @Rov36 -
Selling just the HC nuts separately would be a lot of trouble. I was asking you to contact us via our support channel so we could provide complete replacements as a one time courtesy (for free!) I would not recommend relying on your printed washer solution.
Remember, the rubber compression seals are not re-usable!

1 Like

You guys are just the best :heart: