Installing a cavitation cleaner on a BlueRov

Hello,

I am willing to clean mossels at great depth. I was planning on mounting a cavitation cleaner on a Blue ROV.

I found some counter recoil parts that are already used offshore for Coral cleaning.
My question is… has someone already tried it on a BlueRov?

Thank you in advance for an answer it would be really helpful.

Vasco

Hi @Vasco, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’ve done some testing previously with cavitation cleaning equipment, and found the biggest issues were with ensuring sufficient pumping pressure (particularly for deployments above the water, on jetties and the like), and with the rigidity and weight/drag of the high-pressure tubing (it can make it much harder for a small ROV to manoeuvre when it has relatively strong external forces).

Hi @EliotBR thank you for answering.
I am not sure that I grasped what you wrote… About the pumping… your saying that depth can be an issue for a cavitation cleaner or your meaning to clean something out of water ? pillars, riser etc…?

The tubing you’re talking about were the conventional ones or have you tried with neutral buoyancy ones? Cavit cleaner provides these kind of tubing.

And when tried, was it with the conventional blue rov or you installed the additional heavy configuration? extra ballast etc???

thank you in advance.

Vasco

Cavitation requires high speed water, which (at least in the system I was using - similar to this one I think) involves pumping it up from the water body with a feed pump, where it then goes through a pressurising pump and back down to the ROV/diver doing the actual cleaning. If the water surface is quite a bit below the pressurising pump then the feed pump may not have enough pumping power to supply water fast enough.

Neutral buoyancy doesn’t stop the tubing from being rigid/stiff (hard to bend), or heavy (hard to move). Tubing stiffness makes it harder for your vehicle to turn, and weight makes it harder for your vehicle to accelerate/move quickly.

It was a custom ROV so I can’t discuss it much. It was closest to the BlueROV2 heavy configuration, and ballast was generally tuned to get roughly neutral buoyancy.

OK @EliotBR thank you for answering. I understand perfectly now.Thanks for the accuracy of your responses.

One last question, with a heavy configuration what is the horizontal strenght that the rov can deploy? is it possible to increase it with additional thrusters?

Best regards

Vasco

The thrust from each thruster depends on what it’s commanded to and its power supply. We provide a variety of performance charts you can refer to in the T200 technical details, which tell you how much thrust you can expect to get from a T200 given an ESC command and your supply voltage, as well as how much current is drawn to achieve that thrust.

The total horizontal thrust is composed of the thrust components from each of the horizontal thrusters, which depend on the commanded motion direction.

Yes, more thrusters generally results in more thrust, although it’s important to note the limitations of your power supply. If it can’t supply sufficient current for the thruster outputs you command then the control electronics will become underpowered and the entire ROV will restart (in which case you lose control, telemetry, and video, and can’t do anything other than wait for it to reboot and reconnect).

There are several ways to reduce the likelihood of losing power, but if you’re limiting thrust to avoid power outages then adding extra thrusters is unlikely to help things. You may want/need a higher capacity battery, or to run multiple batteries in parallel.