Fathom to Arduino Serial Connection

Hello!!!

I have been looking for information but I have not seen a clear guide,

I need a connection from above, out of the water, to the ROV. I only want a Serial connection, from outside a computer or arduino to the ROV with arduino, the idea is to have a Serial communication to send data and receive, I only want to send data, I don’t need video.

I have been reading that you use FATHOM but some concepts are not clear to me,

• What combination will I need???

I understand that above I would need FXTI , it has a connection for Binder 770 and a USB output that I could connect to the USB of my laptop and read through the arduino IDE serial the data that comes to me from the ROV’s arduino.
In the ROV part, I would need another Fathom X board and from there connect to the Arduino serial port to have communication with the surface. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• What cable should I use if I only need to send data and receive, would the thin cable work for me? Fathom Slim ROV Tether (by the meter)
  • What connections should I make from FathomX to the ROV’s Arduino Mega to make the Serial connection?

Thanks!!!

If you just want serial data, it would probably be easiest to utilize a second twisted pair in the tether and use a pair of RS485 converters to connect to the Arduinos.

If you want to use the Fathom it would probably be best to add an ethernet switch (5-Port Ethernet Switch for the BlueROV2 and Fathom-X) top and bottom and use an ethernet shield on the Arduinos instead of using the serial ports.

2 Likes

Thanks!!!

So it is much easier than I thought! The FATHOM board would be useful if you need video but since it is not my case, I understand that following this attached diagram and using the standard cable Fathom ROV Tether (by the meter) / and RS485, it would only use two twisted pairs and it would already have serial communication.

Thanks!!!

2 Likes