Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Control issues with upgrading thrusters

(Michael Blom Hermansen) #1

I am intending to replace the t200 thrusters on my ROV with high power high thrust thrusters running on 300 V.

The thrusters are powered by a 300 V cable from a separate power supply, while the Pixhawk battery monitor is powered by the usual 15 V battery. This battery is not connected to any thruster.

The new thrusters are controlled with a PWM signal, the same as the old thrusters.

Is there any control issue from upgrading to more powerful thrusters?
I imagine there are feedback gains that are attuned to specific thrust/servo command slopes.
Also, I imagine there could be some algorithm that safety checks that acceleration and gyroscope readings are consistent with thruster inputs.

BR, Michael

(Jacob) #2

Is there any control issue from upgrading to more powerful thrusters?

No, but It’s not clear if your model will be a drop in replacement without the spec. The pixhawk signals are 3.3V.

I imagine there are feedback gains that are attuned to specific thrust/servo command slopes.

Yes and no. The gains right now were adjusted slightly to be good on the stock vehicle, but we haven’t put a ton of work into this. Things are so damped underwater, it’s really easy to adjust for different vehicles.

Also, I imagine there could be some algorithm that safety checks that acceleration and gyroscope readings are consistent with thruster inputs.

Nope!

(Michael Blom Hermansen) #3

Hi Jacob, thanks for the nice answer. The new thrusters will have a controller driven by 3.3V PWM