Cat 5 cable as temporary tether

Hi everyone.
I an trying to connect the BR2 up to the laptop via the BR surface tether interface box.
I am trying to use a standard? cat5 cable (300m long) to do so. the reason is that I need to run the BR through a pipe subsea and my BR tether is only 150m. The pipe is approx 250m long.
I have done this before with a longer BR tether which I don`t have at hand anymore. I just need the tether to be working for a day…dip and throw, cheap tether.

Can someone tell me if the cat cable I have should work or not as I do not get any signals.
The specs can be found here. Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

The pixhawk have 2 off blinking blue light (for info)

Hope a clever mind out there can help.

@SDI,

I have used a 15 foot CAT 5e cable for bench top testing and for shallow tank testing, but definitely not for ocean use as the jacket is definitely not robust enough!

Regards,
TCIII AVD

Thanks, I know, the tether is planned for 1 run through a pipe. My question is mearly if the cable in question have to much resistance or other parameteres that that results in lack og signal.

Hi
That cable should work fine from electronic point of view.
You only need to use one pair.

Check indication LEDs on ROV side on fathom X board.
Check indication LEDs on topside interface box.
Topside You can do alternate solution if You have spair Fathom X board and ethernet input to computer.
/Bo

1 Like

Thanks Bo.
Just solved it…stupid error, really. The 305m long cat 5 cable worked just fine. The hick-up was in fact the top side box. There was a conflict with the IP address when using the FXTI on the laptop. The existing Ethernet connection already had dips on the IP address, All sorted now

1 Like