Alaska Submarine

We have been posting our Alaskan test dives here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5uM1kxm-_0DxDuOkt4INg
Made 100 meters yesterday: Alaska Submarine Dives to 300 feet for George Inlet Fish and Shrimp. - YouTube

4 Likes

@AlaskaSubmarine Very cool videos, thanks for sharing! I enjoyed the one where you picked up the seasoning container, good to see the BlueROV2 at work!

Thanks, that was our first dive. Unfortunately, the camera was out of focus for the first week. The videos are much sharper now.
We love the ROV. It has been a great experience so far and people who are seeing the capabilities are impressed.

New video of a sunken fishing boat at a local harbor up here: Alaska Submarine, Knudsen Cove Sunken Fishing Boat, Nov 2018 - YouTube

3 Likes

Very Nice!

New Alaska Submarine sunken fishing boat (Vera Marie) video here. We found it last week while doing an anchor survey for a local company.

4 Likes

This week from Alaska Submarine…
Decorated Warbonnet living in an old wreck here in Ketchikan, Alaska: Alaska Submarine films old sunken boat in Ketchikan Alaska - YouTube
And…two years ago I went scuba diving with two other people looking for a downed drone in an alpine lake. We failed to find it. Today I went back with our BlueROV2 Heavy and was able to find and recover it at 105 feet (32 meters). The video is here: Alaska Submarine recovers crashed drone from a lake with ROV. - YouTube!
UPDATE: The drone owners were able to recover the video files off the memory card despite it being at 105’ for two years! The drone recorded footage underwater for over 1 minute before dying!

10 Likes

@AlaskaSubmarine - Awesome! Those are great video. I love the recovery right here:

These shots are great as well! Keep it up!

-Rusty

2 Likes

@AlaskaSubmarine Congrats on the successful recovery! Would you mind if we shared this story on our socials? :slight_smile:

Hi Rusty,

Emily and I would like to thank you and the crew you have assembled at Blue Robotics for producing such a great product. It’s really changed the equation for what is possible underwater here in Ketchikan Alaska. We had 3 people diving for this drone two years ago without success. It was a muddy cold mess with nearly zero visibility at that time, and risking a dive to over 100 feet (where it was found) in those conditions wasn’t practical or worth the risk.
Having access to the Blue ROV 2 has made that kind of search much simpler, less risky, and cheaper.
Incidentally, the gripper was so strong that it easily snapped the carbon fiber landing strut tube that I had grabbed the drone with. The gripper was unfazed. You can see this happen at the end of the video when I was dragging it into the shallow water to recover it.
The tether has also been great. I used it and the gripper to recover a 40 pound commercial shrimp pot from over 100 feet also. I grabbed the pot with the gripper and hauled it in with the tether. I probably wont do this again, but I wanted to test the capability in case we needed it in the future for a more important search and recovery operation.
We would like to add a sonar and GPS capability in the future as we develop a better customer base and are comfortable that we can recoup the cost. I think those would be very valuable additions to the platform.
The local community has been very interested in the ROV and our videos. We have several community interest projects in the planning stages and have even had a couple commercial jobs so far. We are really enjoying it so thanks again!

–Mike Mastin & Emily Dell
Alaska Submarine

2 Likes

@emiller, please do!
In fact, you can use material from any of our publicly listed videos on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ5uM1kxm-_0DxDuOkt4INg
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alaskasubmarine/
Facebook: Redirecting...
Thanks!

–Mike

1 Like

Went diving again today, found a great hangout for some unusual local fish. Please enjoy the video:

3 Likes

@AlaskaSubmarine - Nice piloting, very cinematic!

New video up includes a seal diving near us and a sunken fishing boat with hundreds of fish: Alaska Submarine tour through Knudsen Cove Marina, Ketchikan Alaska - YouTube It has over 800 views in less than a week.

5 Likes

Nice picture.

Launching at low tide to survey a kelp farm that had some damage due to a large log drifting through their kelp strings…
I lowered the ROV down to Emily so we could get it into the water. We just missed getting some video of a large humpback whale that swam by…

1 Like

Short video about a Heart Crab I found on the sunken fishing boat Gail Anne this week. Will be editing a video for the forum that showcases the tether snag(s) I got while shooting on this wreck! Hope to have it up later this week on my channel.

2 Likes

How cool! Thank you so much for sharing! Looking forward to your video :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @AlaskaSubmarine. Nice videos! My name is Brian (@BriThom) and I am a researcher at Temple University located in Philadelphia, PA. We recently purchased a BlueRov2 and are planning to do indoor lab testing before outdoor locations. In the meantime our group would like to test our image processing techniques underwater video samples especially those with ship corrosion/ biofouling. We noticed you have some videos with such features (Alaska Submarine films the Mojo Wreck. - YouTube). Would you be willing to share video files for these or other shipwrecks? Thanks!

Hi Brian,
Sorry I haven’t checked messages here in some time.
If its not too late for you, you are free to use any of the Alaska Submarine videos I have on YouTube. The channel name has changed to Stormy Teas.
If you need to email me for original files : mmastin@pm.me
Thanks
Mike