Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Depth Hold and Stabilize

Both “Depth Hold” and “Stabilize” works really well and are very useful tools to help controlling the ROV, but right now I have to chose 1 of the two modes. Would it be possible to change this to “Depth Hold” on/off + “Heading Hold” on/off, including having both on at the same time?

(Jacob) #2

Depth hold is the same as stabilize mode, but it also stabilizes depth.

Right now, you have Manual mode (no hold), stabilize mode (heading/angle hold) and depth hold mode (heading/angle/depth hold).

Are you saying that you want to be able to hold depth without holding heading?

(ocenaman) #3

hi ,Jacob
Does the “angle hold” refer to the pitch angle and roll angle?

(Jacob) #4

Yes @oceanman, that’s right. We turn down the angle hold on the bluerobotics by default (ATC_ANG_RLL_P), but the roll disturbances are still damped (ATC_RAT_RLL_P).

I did not realize that.

Then I would apreciate having a “Depth Hold” (without heading)

In this way it would be possible to toggle depth on/off and heading on/off

(Jacob) #6

Ok Mikxie, can you tell me why you want this or why it is more useful than what we are already doing? This would be a pretty significant change in the autopilot code.

If I am the only one asking for this, you should probably work on more important issues first :slight_smile:

I have two reasons:

Smooth heading adjustments is more difficult with autoheading, which makes it harder to do smooth videos.

All the other ROV’s I used previously did not have auto heading as part of auto depth

(Davide) #8

I agree with Mikxie , it would be helpful to use auto depth & auto heading independently .

(ocenaman) #9

We cannnot control the yaw angle when auto depth?

(Jacob) #10

You can control the yaw angle. When you are not controlling the yaw angle in Stabilize or Depth Hold mode, the autopilot will lock the yaw angle. @Mikxie does not want the yaw autopilot to lock the yaw angle.