Water-resisting and pressure sensor

I’m designing an equipment that will be in a rural area exposed to heavy rains. I already got an IP67 rated enclosure with IP67 connectors and it’s working as expected.

I need to measure the ambient pressure so I found this sensor 13C5000PA4K (datasheet:http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf/13C5000PA4K.pdf)for the task. The issue is, I need to drill a hole for the pressure inside the enclosure be the same as the pressure outside. But this hole will be an entrance for water during heavy rains. I found this image from a mesh used in the iPhone 7 that allows air to pass through but not water:

But I couldn’t find the name of this meshes or something similar. I’m thinking that I could protect the hole with a mesh like that to prevent water entrance.

Does this meshes has any special name? What other approach is used to measure ambient pressure in this conditions?

You could maybe use a piece of tube/pipe hanging downwards, with a mesh preventing bugs comming ind. Or use a flexible membrane to equalize pressure. Or a waterproof pressure sensor.

Hello,

you don’t need to do anything. This is exactly how ROV depth sensors work. you just need to put an o-ring and mount it from the inside.

I have an ROV that is rated to a depth of 2000 meters and the depth sensor is mounted inside the very expensive electronics enclosure. It’s a very similar sensor.

There is a hole inside the sensor to let pressure in, but it stops inside the sensor else it would not be able to build any pressure and give you results.

Blue Robotics sells a 30bar pressure, since the scale is smaller than what you are planing to buy, it may give you a more precise measurement.

If you have good budget, the most precise sensor I know of is the digiquartz http://paroscientific.com/pdf/D80_MET4_4A.pdf

Hi -

While Etienne’s suggested use of the bar30 would likely work in your non-submerged application, it is intended for measuring water pressure differences. If you’re trying to track meteorological (air) pressure fluctuations connected to weather, it may not be as accurate as other small inexpensive sensors. A sponge on a downward facing opening could work, but if your trying to avoid humidity, the material you posted the …gif of is likely a good option.

I believe that material is ePTFE, or Gore-tex. This might work?