UDP Bridge to Control Computer

Hi everyone,
I recently switched to BlueOS which is really handy to use.
Reading the documentation, I noticed it was possible to set a UDP/TCP Bridge to the Control Computer. It got me thinking, is it possible to use this to forward the logged data directly to the Control Computer ?

As I’m working on sensors integration on the BlueROV2, it would be convenient to directly read the data on the control computer to process it after.

If a UDP client is set throught the blueOS web frontend, would it work if I set the control computer as server ? When setting the server, we need to choose a serial port but the Raspberry Pi is connected so the Tether board with a RJ45 wire so I’m not sure this would work.

1 Like

Hi @Nathan_R07,

Glad to hear it :slight_smile:

That depends on the source of the data - could you describe more about the hardware you’re trying to connect, and how it connects to your onboard computer / flight controller?

Yes, if you set up a serial to UDP-client bridge in BlueOS, you’ll likely want to connect to that UDP client via a UDP server running on your control computer (at the topside).

I’m not really sure what you mean by this. The onboard computer (Raspberry Pi) has an ethernet-based connection to the topside (tether interfaces like the Fathom-X boards just do some conversion to allow the ethernet signals to travel over a different kind of tether cable). UDP runs on IP packets, so should work fine to send over an ethernet-based connection.

I asked about the bridges in order to forward the Wayfinder data to the surface computer.
Best case scenario, I am able to forward any data of different sensors I would integrate on the ROV.
Once integrated, I would directly get all logged data on the computer and I could choose where to save them.
Currently, I am only aiming to forward the Wayfinder data. I thought it could be possible by setting a UDP client on BlueOS and a server on the control computer. But not knowing much about UDP protocol, it is a bit tricky ^^’

Hello everyone,

I’m reopening this topic because I’m facing a similar situation. I’m attempting to log data from a single-beam echosounder (echologger) and a GNSS module directly to my control computer using UDP/TCP Bridges. Here’s my setup:

• I’ve connected the echologger (SB) and GNSS module to the flight controller navigator, which is connected to a Raspberry Pi 4.
  • The Raspberry Pi 4 is connected to my computer via an Ethernet connection.
  • In the Blue OS interface, I’ve created UDP bridges for both devices.

When I try to read data on my control computer, I’m unable to access or detect the UDP ports. I used Wireshark to check if my PC can read them, but it seems that they are not detected.

I’m open to any guidance or suggestions that could help make this setup work!

Thanks you in advance!

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi @Antonin, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Which BlueOS version are you using? If you’re not on 1.1 then I recommend updating and trying again.

Beyond that, the main thing I can think of is potential conflicts with the autopilot functionalities. If you’re running an autopilot while also trying to use some of the flight controller’s serial ports for pass through then you’ll need to ensure that they’re disabled in the autopilot (e.g. setting the SERIALn_PROTOCOL to None for the relevant ports in ArduPilot firmwares), or disable / turn off the autopilot entirely (which is generally undesirable if you’re using it to control a vehicle).