Speargun Equipped ROV

Hi

I thought I would share a couple of photos of my new ROV with the speargun carriage mounted. Getting the trim right is the next job to allow for the difference in weight distribution between loaded and unloaded, especially with a shark tagging dart on the tip. Until the new gripper is released, which normally serves as the trigger actuator, I am using an M200 motor coupled to a bolt and long nut as a crude way to push the trigger. That would work much better if I had a limit switch of some sort or I could think of a better solution to do the job.

7 Likes

Your picture provides limited view- have you considered using a waterproofed servo? It could work as a smaller “crude” trigger operator,

Hi Cole
I currently use a waterproof servo from Bluetrailengeering for it at the moment but will probably revert back to using a Newton Gripper as the actuator because it is easier to put the trigger back in its normal position after firing.
cheers
John

Hi John,
Looks nice!! probably lot of training needed before your first catch… hehehe
Did you cast that aluminum capsule yourself?

Hi
I had been spear fishing most of my life so it wasn’t very hard at all to learn to use the ROV to do the same thing. I get the bodies machined from solid aluminium billets.
John

That is a sweet looking machine. I really like that aluminum enclosure, and the overall concept of the spearfishing ROV. I was an avid diver for many years, and had a lot of fun times spearfishing. Are you pretty happy with that servo from Blue Trail? We were thinking of getting one to manipulate an attachment on our ROV.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the appreciation of the unit. Handles incredibly well. Yes, the servo from Bluetrail engineering works well. A little overpriced for my usages but well made product.

John