ROV for Archaeology

Hi @Archcom, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the features of your ROV design, and a bit about how you use it. It’s always great to see the various ways people make use of our equipment, and your use-case is quite fascinating.

This was really interesting! The model was quite detailed, but it was also super cool to see the ROV itself included, with lighting, along with water and a few fish for some extra perspective. Really helps to set the scene :slight_smile:

I agree - the community here is great, and it’s something we try hard to foster. Thanks for joining in the sharing; no doubt your post will spur some interesting discussions here and elsewhere, and may serve as inspiration for other people’s designs :slight_smile:

My main questions are on the imaging side of things:

1. The output model seems to have quite natural colours, such that it’s not obvious it’s from underwater images. Is that achieved with some kind of post-processing colour correction, or is the vehicle driven close enough to the target, with strong enough lighting that the colours look relatively normal?
  2. Photogrammetry is notorious for being somewhat finicky. Is there a particular software you recommend, and are you able to provide any more details on the process you follow to get good results? (e.g. successive image overlap, vehicle speed, processing hardware+time required to get from photos to model, etc)

You’re most welcome! Our mission is to enable the future of ocean exploration, and we love it when people like you, and companies like yours, are able to use our equipment/components to solve problems and do awesome work/projects :smiley:

P.S. I’ve edited your post a bit to make the videos embedded, so that it’s possible to view them without needing to leave the forum. You can learn how to do that and other formatting in the Formatting a Post/Comment section of the How to Use the Blue Robotics Forums post :slight_smile:

2 Likes