Resident ROV project

First Oceanvault - Resident test, with the collaboration of SOSUB Australia.

This software will be part of our resident ROV project which is aimed at fish farming. (and other applications)

Pilot: Kelsey Treloar SOSUB Australia
ROV: Orange ROV1 Delta ROV Philippines

We got excellent results, very little latency. <1 sec @ 640x480 video resolution.

The ROV position will be provided via step file.

This is a rudimentary example.

The beauty of it is you can draw your own CAD so you can make it more relevant to your application.

Next step will be to try it over 4G network.

@SoSub anything you want to add?

6 Likes

Oh this is great! I love the collaboration between you two!

I’m a big fan and believer in resident marine systems for remote work.

4 Likes

Thanks Kevin.

What I’ve observed is Bluerobotics brings people together more than any other company out there. Your open and successful business model is an example to us all.

We’ve been collaborating with SOSUB on a lot of projects over the last year and we like working together.

SOSUB is also one of our distributors so this collaboration is a good fit.

3 Likes

Sneak peak on part of the topside system for a resident ROV credit to @etienne alot of research and late nights have gone into this on his part. more to come soon.

3 Likes

Real nice work doing the rendering. If this antenna is good enough for SpaceX it should be good enough to handle the BR2 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m also LOVING this collab :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

hi etienne, kelsey,

nice work and the surface buoy looks really cool!

We have done a number of test remote piloting BR2 over 4G a couple of years ago and it worked decently. No surprise, but the most important was to have a decent and stable 4G connections up and down on the ROV side (say >3mbps on internet speed test with 1mbps video bitrate). it was nice to have a lightweight setup on the ROV side with the ROV directly plugged into a modem.

One issue was that we didn t manage to have the controls both locally and remotely in parallel if i remember correctly (would make contingency take over from a local surface computer easier).

One other thing was that QGC was setup to render the images with 0 buffer and no way to tune that (at the time at least), so that often turned quite bad (green images and tearing), but VLC with minimal buffer worked well. I see that you’re using your own control software so you’ve probably sorted this out already!

We also achieved slightly less than 1s latency with direct rtp streaming. so very doable to fly remotely provided you could keep it slow and steady. but if the ROV was getting snagged, feeling surface waves or anything generating fast motion, it would quickly become uncontrollable…

Best of luck with your next tests!

jg

If you fit a DVL, it’ll give you additional positional stability to assist against the effects of latency.
Great job !

Hi Richard,

That is a good idea for sure. It would allow to send plotting info to move the ROV as well.

That said, its bloody expensive :slight_smile:
Cheers,
E.

Agreed - but it’s cheaper than it used to be - we just bought a Waterlinked DVL for USD 6.3k (but haven’t got it integrated yet). And it’s tiny !

Yeah, I’ve been in contact with waterlink on this. Just waiting for funds and BR to complete the integration on their system.