Ping 1D causing " increase the temperature of the SoC made lagging of joystick"

Hello,

I upgrade my ROV with ping1D. After installation, the CPU gets heating more than 85 degrees. and causing lag on command from joystick to QG. I change the power from 5V 3A to 5V 6A, and I add a heat sink also the Rasperry pi getting heat.

Hi @Ibrahim,

How are you testing this? The electronics enclosure isn’t designed to operate in air for extended periods, which is especially the case for acrylic enclosures. We would generally recommend testing with the vehicle in water, as that helps keep things cool.

If you do need to test in air it’s recommended to have some form of ventilation. At absolute minimum keep the vent plug open, but preferably keep the electronics out of the enclosure, and ideally have a fan or similar to keep them cool.

The 150% CPU load is unusual, but it’s possible the load is that high because of the throttling from the overheating. Does it consistently get that high when you turn on the vehicle (after it’s had a chance to cool down)?

You also may be interested to try BlueOS, which is the replacement for our old Companion software. It should have lower CPU usage, and accordingly may run a bit cooler.

A 5V6A power supply is definitely recommended for the vehicle to run properly :slight_smile:

That generally shouldn’t be a requirement unless you’re running some additional software that’s using a lot of CPU, but it also shouldn’t do any harm, and could be quite helpful.

I tested in the two environments one in the air and the second one in the pool still getting heat.

The load gets high when the temperature increases more than 85 degrees.

Are you operating in hot water, or keeping the ROV in direct sunlight before it goes into the water? If the electronics or water are already hot then putting the enclosure in the water won’t instantly cool things down inside the enclosure, especially if it’s a thermally insulating enclosure made of acrylic.

Ok, that sounds like the high temperature is causing the throttling then, which reduces the available compute cycles and accordingly increases the load to try to maintain the same functionality. Reducing the load by switching to BlueOS would likely be helpful, but if there’s something else causing the high temperatures to start with then you’ll probably need to fix that as well.

1 Like