Modifying BlueROV2 for bathymetric multibeam

Hello,

We are looking into buying a BlueROV2 and modifying it to become suitable as a survey platform. We have an R2Sonic Sonic2024 high resolution bathymetric multibeam and a Sonardyne SprintNav Mini INS/DVL. The vehicle will also be fitted with a Kongsberg cNode Micro transponder providing absolute underwater positioning to the INS from a Kongsberg HiPAP USBL.
Has anyone done this type of build before or know of a good builder in Europe who might be able to assist with design and modification of such a vehicle?
Thanks in advance!

Andrew (Voice of the Ocean Foundation, Sweden)

Hi!
I am based in Gothenburg, Sweden and can give you some hints.
You find me via http://www.bokomedia.se
Bo

Hi Andrew,
We use to work with the sensors you mentioned on other vehicles and also we have modified BR2’s for the communication bandwidth and energy needed for such a payload. So, the major challenge will be the weigh and volume needed for the sensors’ payload integration but sounds an exciting one.
Feel free to reach us at info@ploatech.com
Kind regards, Angelos

Hi Bo and Angelos,

Thank you for reaching out. I have responded to each of you directly via email.

Hopefully chat soon

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I work for a marine survey company here in the US. We use R2Sonic MBES units exclusively along with a large variety of USBL systems and other sensors. I’ve thought about building an ROV like the one you have in mind for those situations where we want good data in a place that’s too deep to reach from a surface vessel as we normally do. As Angelos mentioned, the weight/mass/drag challenges inherent in packaging up that much equipment into a small ROV will be tough to overcome. I’d be interested to hear more about why you want to try this and what kind of travel distances you have in mind.